[RP TownTalk] Caution in parks

Vernon Archer varcher at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 21:33:16 UTC 2010

Friends and neighbors,

I was very disturbed to learn about the assault/robbery of a local person on
the bike trail under the East-West Highway bridge and some parts of the
response to the incident.  Upon further investigation we discovered that
there were similar occurrences in nearby areas over the period between
June 1 and June 7. Chief Chambers is therefore issuing a NIXLE message,
which I will copy below for those of you who do not belong to that system.

Further, be assured that despite the misunderstanding of an interaction with
our dispatch, Riverdale Park Police do respond and patrol along the trail
and in the parks. Because of the rash of incidents police are stepping up
our presence and activities in that area. I believe the area is still safe
and I do not plan on avoiding the area which frequent, but I will certainly
be more cautious while traversing this area.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Advisory Message has been issued by the Riverdale Park Police Department.
Friday June 11, 2010 5:27 PM EDT
Please be careful – recent unprovoked attacks have occurred near the 5300
block of Riverdale Rd and on park property.
Three recent unprovoked attacks have occurred in the area of 5300 Riverdale
Road and the parks and bike paths nearby.  In two of the most recent cases,
individuals were beaten severely by several young men.  In two cases,
personal property was taken from the victim.
The description of the suspects has varied; however, all three crimes
involved more than one suspect – from as few as two to as many as 13.  The
crimes occurred between approximately 7 p.m. and 10 p.m. between June 1 and
June 7, 2010.
We are working closely with the Maryland Park Police to help identify the
perpetrators of two of these crimes which occurred on their property, and we
are following up investigative leads regarding the first of the three
attacks that occurred on our area of responsibility.
Please be aware of your surroundings and notify us if you see suspicious
activity or if you have additional information regarding any of these
attacks.  You may reach the Riverdale Park Police Department at 301-927-4343
and the Maryland National Capital Park and Planning Commission Police at
301-459-9088.

For full details, go to https://local.nixle.com/alert/2492429/.

Contact Information:
Teresa Chambers