[RP TownTalk] Dead Rooster on the Tracks reply

Sue Collins wheadle at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 3 11:44:29 UTC 2010

If you'll look on past Town Talk archives, unfortunately over the past few years there've been several instances of dead chickens in bags (many time with candy and other "goodies" enclosed!) on the tracks.  In fact I've found several of them myself.  I've usually found them on Saturdays or Sundays as that's when I walk up that way, and as Public Works is closed, I've called the police and reported it to them and I know they've picked up at least a few of the chickens in the past.  I don't know if Animal Control would consider this their jurisdiction or not.  As the animal is already dead, they'll probably think it's a town matter?  Word of warning; I've heard that in some instances whoever is leaving these chickens will put caustic materials on the bags so that anyone who disturbs the bags gets irritation on their hands.
Now as to why are the chickens on the tracks (sounds like a bad riddle); from some research I've done, I believe it's to do with Santeria or voodoo.  In some beliefs, crossroads are considered very powerful places to leave offerings and as I said above, many times I've seen candy and other things in the bags with the chickens, so I don't think we're talking people just leaving garbage or dead fighting chickens.  There was a full moon the other night, don't know if that has anything to do with when the chickens are left on the tracks or not.  Most of the times I've found the chickens, it's been summer. I wonder, are other areas like Hyattsville, Langley Park, etc., esp. with crossroads at railroad tracks or major intersections, having this same problem?