[RP TownTalk] Restaurant Health Code Violations

Jeffrey Yorke yorkedial at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 15:31:05 UTC 2010

Big trouble with" Li Ho" ...

It should come as no surprise to anyone that an establishment on H Street
called "Li Ho" would have some sort of legal or regulation issues...  See
below for this morning's e-listings from "the Miracle on 15th Street" ...
Nothing out of the ordinary.

And then below that, the article that apparently prompted this inquiry from
this morning's Washington Examiner, a DC-based, conservative-backed upstart
free daily hoping to tap into the large portion of disenfranchised Post
readers with a bit of William Randolph Hearst-like journalism. (It's
"re-reported on the WTOP web site, too.)

Restaurant code violations ALWAYS get readers' attention. For the record,
Bob Woodward got his start at the WashPost in the summer of 1971 as a cub
reporter in the Rockville bureau writing dirty restaurant stories. Dick
Nixon gave him his big break the following June 17 with a "third-rate
burglary" in a downtown hotel complex along the river.

washingtonpost.com <http://www.washingtonpost.com/>  > Metro
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/local.html>
 > The District<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/metro/dc/index.html>
» FOLLOW METRO ON: [image:
Mobile]<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/contents/mobile/index.html>
 [image: Newsletters &
Alerts]<http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/admin/email>
 [image: RSS] <http://feeds.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/rss/metro/index_xml>
[image:
Facebook] <http://www.facebook.com/postmetro> [image:
Twitter]<http://twitter.com/postmetro>
<http://voices.washingtonpost.com/local-breaking-news/>The Breaking News
Blog <http://voices.washingtonpost.com/local-breaking-news/><http://voices.washingtonpost.com/local-breaking-news/>All
the latest news from the District, Maryland and Virginia
health code violationsD.C., Maryland and Virginia health code violations
**
TOOLBOX
<javascript:void(0);> <javascript:void(0);> <javascript:void(0);> Resize
Print<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/09/AR2010030903423_pf.html>
E-mail<http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/emailafriend?contentId=AR2010030903423&sent=no>
Yahoo! Buzz<http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzz?publisherurn=washington_po284&guid=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.washingtonpost.com%2Fwp-dyn%2Fcontent%2Farticle%2F2010%2F03%2F09%2FAR2010030903423.html>
<http://altfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/14302-93014-2151-0?mpt=1538400>
**
COMMENT
0 Comments
*BE THE FIRST TO COMMENT*
You must be logged in to leave a comment. Log
in<http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/profile/create?url=http%3A//www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/09/AR2010030903423.html>
 | Register<http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/profile/create?url=http%3A//www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/09/AR2010030903423.html>
 Why Do I Have to Log In Again? <javascript:void(0);>

 Discussion Policy <javascript:void(0);>
**
WHO'S BLOGGING
<http://www.sphere.com/>
» Links to this
article<http://www.sphere.com/search?q=sphereit:http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/09/AR2010030903423.html>
Thursday, March 11, 2010

*These food establishments were closed because of health code violations.
The list, compiled from health department reports, reflects actions taken by
the departments.*

*The District*

*The Brickskeller Dining House & Down Home Saloon*

1523 22nd St. NW

Closed Friday for operating without a manager present and failure to
minimize vermin. Reopened Saturday.

*Farmers Market Seafood*

1309 Fifth St. NE

Closed last Thursday for operating without a manager on duty. Reopened that
day.

*Li Ho Restaurant and Carryout*

501 H St. NW

Closed Friday for gross unsanitary conditions.

*Sova Espresso and Wine*

1359 H St. NE

Closed last Thursday for operating without a license.

*-- Compiled by Terence McArdle*

<http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/>
Thursday, March 11, 2010 | Last Update 10:03 EST
<http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/digitaleditions.aspx?tab=0&pid=31746d87-c731-4064-8c96-6f1a3abc7471>View
today's E-Dition<http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/digitaleditions.aspx?tab=0&pid=31746d87-c731-4064-8c96-6f1a3abc7471>

[image: click for
forecast]<http://www.wunderground.com/auto/dcexaminer/DC/Washington.html>

   - HOME <http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/>
   - POLITICS <http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/politics>
   - NATION <http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/nation>
   - LOCAL <http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/local>
   - WORLD <http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/world>
   - OPINION <http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion>
   - ECONOMY <http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/economy>
   - SPORTS <http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sports>
   - ENTERTAINMENT <http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/entertainment>
   - CALENDAR <http://events.washingtonexaminer.com/>

LOCAL
[Print]<http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/local/Hundreds-of-eateries-rack-up-health-violations-87267627.html#>
  [Email]<http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/local/Hundreds-of-eateries-rack-up-health-violations-87267627.html#>
        <http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.washingtonexaminer.com%2Flocal%2FHundreds-of-eateries-rack-up-health-violations-87267627.html%23ixzz0hsVoiiUX&t=Hundreds%20of%20DC%20area%20restaurants%20violate%20health%20codes%20%7C%20Washington%20Examiner%20&src=sp><http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php>

Hundreds of DC area restaurants violate health codesBy: MARKHAM
HEID<http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/bios/markham-heid.html>

Examiner Staff Writer
March 11, 2010
(Andrew Harnik/Examiner)

*Palm, Georgia Brown's, Gordon Biersch cited*

Health inspectors nailed at least 1,900 area restaurants and food vendors —
including the swanky Palm and Georgia Brown's -- for violations ranging from
rat infestations to "slime"-covered water spigots during a three-month
period, according to health department records obtained by *The Examiner.*

Health inspectors in Virginia, Maryland and the District closed at least 116
area food establishments as a result of majorhealth code infractions.

*D.C's top offenders ** **Name**Number of critical violations*Gordon Biersch
Brewery11Georgia Brown's11Palm Restaurant10Toscana Cafe10Capitol City
Brewing (Mass. Avenue)9Big Chair Coffee n' Grill8Rasika8Organic To Go
(Evarts Street)7Dean and DeLuca7Soho Cafe (14th Street)7*Note:* Violations
in a single inspection
*Source:* D.C. Department of Health*
*

But hundreds of other restaurants were allowed to remain open, despite
racking up critical violations such as expired food and preparing dishes
with open wounds. All the violations occurred between Nov. 1 and Feb. 1.

In the District alone, more than 450 restaurants and food service
establishments were cited for critical violations, many for multiple
infractions during a single inspection.

Critical health code violations are those that could lead to foodborne
illness if left uncorrected, said Robert Sudler, the D.C. Health
Department's food safety program manager.

The Palm Restaurant, Georgia Brown's, Gordon Biersch Brewery and Toscana
Cafe were written up for more critical health code violations during one
inspection than other D.C. restaurants -- though none resulted in
closures.Health inspectors cited both the Palm and Georgia Brown's for
keeping expired food -- crab cakes and gravy, respectively -- and for
dishwashers with water temperatures that weren't hot enough, among other
violations.

"That certainly set off the alarms for us," said John Bettin, president and
chief executive officer of Palm Restaurant Group. "We take food safety very
seriously."

A health inspector observed 11 critical health code violations at Gordon
Biersch, which tied Georgia Brown's for the most among D.C. restaurants
during one inspection.

A hand-written report described one barehanded cook "preparing desserts with
cuts/sores on fingers," and said employees were cleaning dining utensils and
dishes with dirty rags between servings, and using the same pair of tongs to
handle cooked and raw food.

"It's disappointing and embarrassing, to say the least," said Joe Cominsky,
a regional manager for the Gordon Biersch Restaurant Group.

The restaurant brought in a food safety educator, and employees were
required to take a course and test, added Executive Chef Arthur Jackson, who
said the violations had been corrected.

Managers at Georgia Brown's and Toscana Cafe said their restaurants' health
code issues had been resolved, and all four restaurants received clean bills
of health during follow-up inspections.

Sudler said inspectors close a restaurant only when a violation is an
"imminent" health threat that is not immediately correctable -- such as
vermin infestation.

Pollo Granjero, a Mexican restaurant in Adams Morgan, was one of several
eateries closed temporarily because of roach and rat infestation.

Restaurants in Maryland and Virginia also racked up hundreds of health
violations, which are based on Food and Drug Administration guidelines.

In Prince George's County, where at least 290 restaurants were cited for
critical health code violations, Reggiano's Italian restaurant in Largo was
cited for infractions in four categories related to food preparation, food
storage and employee health.

And in Virginia, Alexandria's upscale Brabo by Robert Wiedmaier was cited
for 10 critical health code violations during one inspection.

However, Brabo owner and Executive Chef Wiedmaier said the violations --
which included kitchen employees drinking from uncovered containers and
handling toasted bread with bare hands -- did not endanger customers'
health, and the use of the word "critical" was misleading.

"No one's ever been sick here," he said. "I run clean, professional
restaurants, and I pride myself on how people see my kitchens."

Bob Custard, an Alexandria Health Department manager, would not discuss
individual restaurants, but acknowledged that not all violations are created
equal.

"Critical violations may just create a situation where something is more
likely to happen, or they may directly create an issue," Custard said. "Some
have a much larger potential to directly harm someone than others."

*Kaitlin Schluter contributed to this report.*

**
*

mheid at washingtonexaminer.com
*