[RP TownTalk] Spring has sprung at Riversdale

Ferris, Samantha Samantha.Ferris at pgparks.com
Tue Mar 9 21:19:30 UTC 2010

Hi Friends!

I hope you are all enjoying some fresh air and have your office and
house windows wide open on this lovely day! As the weather is finally
hinting, spring is certainly on its way and with it comes a plethora of
fun events at Riversdale. Take a peek below to see what's new!

For registration purposes for the below events, the resident rate
applies to residents of Prince George's & Montgomery Counties.

*	Tavern Night - Saturday, April 10, 8pm. Riversdale is once again
bringing back this always popular event. Take a step back in time (and
just down the stairs!) to experience a 19th century tavern, complete
with entertainment by the Ship's Company Chanteymen and delicious fare.
This year's menu is set to include 19th century crowd pleasers such as
beef pasties, potato balls, slaw, and more. YUM!  $20 residents; $24
non-residents. Guests must be at least 21 years of age and the last day
for registration is April 2.  This program always sells out! Register
early!

*	The Art of Cookery Spring Luncheon - Saturday, April 24, 1pm.
You might not be aware, but in addition to the historic house,
Riversdale is also home to a dependency kitchen and interpretive garden.
Our gardeners, Kitchen Guild volunteers, and foodways historian are
joining forces to lay a bountiful table at our very first Historic
Spring Luncheon. Guests will enjoy a period-inspired meal using fresh,
organic produce from our gardens and orchard. Afterwards, enjoy cooking
demonstrations, take a tour with the head gardener, see what is new
inside Riversdale, and visit the Museum Shop! $30 residents; $36
non-residents. Registration required by April 16.

*	The Kitchen Guild will also be offering their monthly Seasonal
Selections programs from noon-3:30 on the below dates. Admission to the
kitchen is FREE and makes a unique outing for a nice afternoon. Tack on
a tour of the house for $3 adults/$2 seniors/$1 students & FREE for
children 4 & under.

	*	Sunday, March 21 - Soup du Jour. The Guild will prepare
soups using root veggies from our garden.
	*	Sunday, April 18 - Green! Green! Celebrate the color of
the season as you see the Guild prepare young green plants for several
dishes.

PARENTS! It's hard to believe that it's time to start thinking about
summer plans and camps, but those months will be here before we know it!
Just this week, flyers announcing our Hands-on History: Artist's
Apprentice camp went out to all local public schools and will be out to
private schools by the end of the week. Keep your eyes peeled!

For more information check out our calendar at
http://www.pgparks.com/places/eleganthistoric/riversdale_events.html.

If you've got any questions or would like to register for one of our
programs, I'm your girl!  Feel free to email me at
Samantha.Ferris at pgparks.com or call the office at 301.864.0420.

Hope to see you all soon! :o)

Samantha Ferris
Education Coordinator

Riversdale House Museum
4811 Riverdale Road, Riverdale Park, MD 20737
Department of Parks and Recreation
The Maryland-National Capital Park & Planning Commission
Samantha.Ferris at pgparks.com / www.pgparks.com
301.864.0420 / fax 301.927.3498