[RP TownTalk] Lawn regulations

Nina Faye ns_faye at yahoo.com
Mon May 3 13:31:21 UTC 2010

Please regard these as general comments from someone who is gardener, Horticulture Society member, and member of a Hyattsville Code Enforcement Committe, which dealt with this issue some years ago.  Mowing grass very short encourages weed growth and unhealthy grass.  Since the 1970's there has been a movement to have urban/suburban meadows and wildflower gardens.  There have been numerous articles in the Post about these over the last several years.  They "typical" suburban lawn is an ecological mess of herbicides, pesticides, and monoculture.  Runoff from lawn applications is a major source of Bay pollution.  It took us almost three years to hash out a revised ordinance on lawns and gardens, and it has been revised once since then.  I would suggest that the six inches is unrealistic, not good for lawns, and possibly unenforceable.  What would happen if we had another extremely wet spring and summer, when it was near impossible to get lawns cut
 for the mud?  Are your Code people really going to be out counting seed heads and comparing the number with the homeowner?  Of course we all know that most of the problem lawns in both towns are simply a matter of lazy owners.  It is a serious problem and a pain for Public Works and Code.  I just wanted to raise some of the issues that we struggled with, though I suspect that RP gardeners have been doing so already.  Good luck with your efforts, Nina