[RP TownTalk] Lawn regulations

Nina Faye ns_faye at yahoo.com
Wed May 5 19:48:14 UTC 2010

Zach, I am sorry this reply took awhile; work was taking precedence.  I was trying not to make any specific suggestions as I live in Hyattsville and not Riverdale Park.  This issue was a very controversial one when we addressed it, somewhat breaking down into the gardeners/ecologists vs. manicured lawn people.  I am in the first category, and we somewhat prevailed.  We had had a major tragedy with someone having spent a dozen years or so developing a backyard of all native plants with lots of birds and wildlife, being on an extended vacation, and coming home to a decimated yard and a large bill from the City to decimate the yard.  Personally I like to let part of our lawn go to seed once a year, rather than go out and buy seed.  I like to watch the process as a gardener, and I'm cheap.  Our Code Enforcement Advisory Committee on a number of occasions has urged public education and positive efforts to convince people to adhere to agreed upon
 community standards.  As already said, some folks will never fall into line.  We also tried to take into account that we have elderly residents, vagaries of weather, and residents who are having financial problems.  All of these factors can affect when and how a lawn gets cut.  Again, I was just trying to mention some of the factors we considered, since we spent a very long time hashing out our lawn and weed ordinance, which is available on the Hyattsville web site.  Good Luck, Nina