[RP TownTalk] Dead animals, live deer, fans, and air conditioner question

Sarah Wayland sarah.wayland at gmail.com
Thu May 6 14:01:09 UTC 2010

>>> RE the dead squirrel or other small deceased animal; it's not legal to dump them, what about burying them in your yard or a wooded area (not park land), would that be permissible?  Unless the animal died of some disease, I don't think something as small as a squirrel would present a very big health hazard if you buried it.  (too, to be quite frank, it would "go back to the earth" and help enrich the soil). <<<

According to the Town Code posted by Councilmember Lingua, small
animals count as waste and can thus be disposed of in the garbage. As
a courtesy to the people emptying the trash, it would be good to bag
the dead animal before putting it in the trash.

And even though I completely agree with you, Sue, that burying such an
animal should be fine, it is not legal to bury waste in your yard. The
animal control division I spoke with was quite clear on that fact -
that burying an animal was *more* likely to result in spreading
disease than throwing it away.

As I understand it, the reason we are advised to contact the town
about the dead chickens on the railroad tracks is that it is a
separate issue from trash disposal and is being monitored by law
enforcement.

-Sarah

--
Sarah Wayland