[RP TownTalk] Dog Park

ABragg7393 at aol.com ABragg7393 at aol.com
Sat Nov 6 17:38:14 UTC 2010

Just a note about my experience at the dog park.
Yesterday I went over to the Hyattsville Dog Park near Ager Road.  As you
all know we did have some rain on Thrusday and Friday was a nice day.  We
went late in the afternoon around 3.  This was supposed to be a treat for my
furry kids because they have been cooped up in the car and hotel (we had a
fire at our house).  So I stopped at Rite Aid and bought 2 balls and a bag of
treats and off we went.  We got in the dog park and we see a red plastic
fence running through the middle.  Getting closer, we see there is a small pond
right in the middle of the park but not deep enough to swim in just enough
to get muddy and messy.  The grass is mushy under your feet as well.
My dogs took a few steps, looked at me and I believe they said "What, you
want us to run around in this mess?"  So, I said, ok we will play here on
this little area of gravel, I will throw the ball and you guys can go fetch.
Ok, great.  I throw the balls.,
The collie won't even pick it up and the Sheltie does pick it up, but not
happy and won't do it a second time. The ball gets all gravelly and feels
yucky in her mouth. So that was the end of Hyattsville dog park.  We got in the
car and came down to the walking trail in Riverdale Park and had a nice
long walk.  Delightful.
So, I am thinking who's idea was it to build a dog park in a swamp/wet
lands?  Sometimes people get so excited about getting what they want they don't
take the time to think it through.  The money spent on that dog park was a
waste as far as I can see.
I also became aware of another possible threat to our quiet enjoyment of
our property.  The purple line is planned to go down Kenilworth Ave.  Just a
couple of blocks from my house.  While I was at the Hyattsville Dog Park
which is a couple of blocks from the existing metro I could hear this annoying
whoosh/whistle/wlwwlwj
every few minutes.  This is a sample of what I will be hearing in my back
yard as soon as they complete the purple line.  I don't know if I can take
it.  Please don't put the purple line so close to our town unless it goes
under ground, and why isn't it going underground where it won't be so annoying.

I must end this on a nice note and say that today I went to Staples because
my computer was not behaving. The guy, his name is Matthew, and the store
is in Greenbelt, was so helpful and wonderful and pleasant and knowledgeable
and I just loved him.
Audrey