[RP TownTalk] Fwd: Wild/stray,ferral cats

Zach Feris zferis at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 15:45:47 UTC 2010

Hi Danielle and all,
Thanks for sharing Beverly's email. Up until May 2010, we actually rented a
house right next door to her at 5016 Sheridan. Beverly's a very sweet and
gentle woman. She has a good heart and exhibits an enviable level of
humility and care for all living things. I've never really agreed with her
logic or practice, however, of putting out food for the neighborhood cats. I
strongly believe that the act of providing food, while commendable for
the level of compassion it represents and inspires, does far more damage
than good.

Providing a common feeding area for cats attracts wildlife - namely rodents,
raccoons and skunks. It also attracts all kinds of cats - household pets
that "escape" the confines of the family living room for the evening,
homeless domesticated cats and feral cats. Many of these homeless/feral
animals have never seen a vet, and there is a very good probability that
they are harboring diseases. The common feeding area that is kindly
being re-stocked daily by people like Beverly provides a point of contact
where diseases are easily transmitted from wildlife and other sick animals
to healthy animals (mostly via the saliva and/or parasites of an infected
animal to others). Sick animals passing through our yards also come into
contact with other domesticated animals - such as dogs - which provides an
additional opportunity for transmission of illnesses. Additionally, outdoor
cats often use garden plots to bury their "business", which is another way
that serious disease can be passed from animal to human being.

The diseases include, but are not limited to:

   - Rabies: usually transmitted to humans via wild animals, but frequently
   by outdoor cats as well
   - Salmonellosis: bacterial infection that causes diarrhea
   - Bartonellosis: a.k.a. cat scratch disease
   - Cryptosporidiosis: causes diarrhea
   - Toxoplasmosis: spread to humans via contact with cat feces (especially
   in garden plots - so wear gloves always!)
   - Campylobacterosis: another diarrhea causing organism

Those particularly at risk include the elderly, young children, and nursing
mothers - but may potentially anyone with a compromised immune system.

We lived next to Beverly for about a year. During that time I would say we
had maybe a dozen different cats passing through our yard on a regular
basis. They seemed to enjoy taunting our dog. We also witnessed large
raccoons and a skunk coming out of the storm drains and gorging themselves
on Beverly's front porch. On one occasion, we witnessed one of the raccoons
mauling our neighbor's chihuahua mix. Luckily, the dog suffered no lasting
harm or illness. I called Riverdale Park PD to report that incident, mainly
out of concern that the raccoon which seemed sick might have transmitted
something to the dog - which played regularly with lots of children,
including our son, as well as our dog. As far as I know, no follow up
occurred from the PD. I encouraged the neighbors to get the dog checked out
by a vet too.

In my opinion, the problem which Beverly addresses is quite serious -
particularly in that neighborhood. Continuing to feed the cats, however, has
nothing to do with finding a long-term solution to the base problem at hand.
I agree that Beverly needs help, but perhaps NOT the manner of help she is
requesting. Here's the kind of help I'd suggest...

The community leadership, with support from the community in general, needs
to work to engage the various levels of our overburdened Animal Control
Officials to plan out a more effective resolution to the problem. Trap,
neuter & release (TNR) programs should be a component, and would go a long
way to reducing the apparent exploding outdoor cat population. Trapping and
adopting out any suitable, untagged and unclaimed cats in the neighborhood
to good families would also help. Cat rescues may be better suited to help
with this than Animal Control, since the vast majority of captured homeless
cats are euthanized before a home can be found. Cat owners in the community
should be strongly encouraged to get their cats neutered or spayed, and NOT
let their cats roam freely outdoors. Lastly, one reason cats (and wildlife)
come to the neighborhood is directly related to the availability of food, so
Animal Control should work to reduce/control the practice of outdoor
feeding.

The issues surrounding appropriate control and care for cats can be pretty
contentious. I realize I may offend some neighbors with the above
suggestions. It's not my intention. Moreover, its my own compassion for
animals that brings me to respond to the thread. I personally think that
compassion can best be shown by caring for our animals in a way that is
loving and nurturing AND functions to establish the solid basis for a
healthy, enjoyable co-existence between humans and animals on this very
small planet.

My best,
Zach Feris