[RP TownTalk] This N That

Sue Collins wheadle at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 12 12:22:54 UTC 2010

RE the stray cat situation; as an animal lover, I'm of 2 minds about this.  I do
not want to see the cats starve but I can't see how continually supplying food,
etc., will help the situation.  I would think it would make it worse by
encouraging MORE stray cats to stay in the area and the weaker cats who can't
fight for their share of the food will starve anyhow.

RE cats in general; perhaps I'LL get some flak over this, but I can't see why
people let their cats run loose in a residential area; the animals stand a very
good chance of getting hit by a car (or train!), they can get injured in other
ways, they can get diseases or parasites, etc.  I know many, many people who
keep their cats indoors and the cats are happy, well-adjusted animals.  Yes, it
involves a lot of owner interaction and time with the cats but if you're not
willing to provide time for ANY animal you bring into your home, you shouldn't
have a pet at all.

As for other arguments about traffic, people using public transportation (purple
line or whatever) instead of cars; we HAD some public transportation in the form
of regular Metrobus service up until the Metro/MARC accident the other year.
The buses came through town center every day of the week and ran early and late
enough to accomodate a lot of people who would otherwise be driving.  After the
accident, Metro rerouted the buses onto East-West Highway, which means if people
in my part of town (like me!) want to catch a Metro bus, we have to walk up to
the school or out on Route 1.  Not so bad if I'm just walking, but coming home
with grocery bags, etc., it can be difficult, esp. as I have arthritis. The
County bus just runs weekdays.  I've read a lot of posts and heard
comments about how great it will be when the Purple Line comes through, how many
people will ride instead of drive; however, when Metro discontinued it's bus
service through our town center, the only person I heard raising a voice in
protest was.... me.