[RP TownTalk] One last thought on purple line

Dwight Holmes dwightrholmes at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 13:52:53 UTC 2010

Melissa, I don't think anyone would doubt the need for safety.
Certainly Metro tracks are surrounded by fences - I've no idea if they
are electric or not - never tested one! - but certainly the fences are
there.  (My assumption is that the primary reason they are there is
because of the high voltage electric "third rail" - this would explain
the absence of fences along the CSX tracks, which have no
electrification).  Visually and aesthetically these fences are very
different from sound barrier walls, and I am not aware of any sound
barrier walls in the Metro system. Can you point out to us where some
of them are? And more pertinent to the discussion about light rail,
can you tell us where you saw that sound barrier walls are part of the
plan for our section of the Purple Line?  Thanks.