[RP TownTalk] Will Hyattsville Close Queensbury Rd. to Commuter Traffic?

Dwight Holmes dwightrholmes at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 13:52:18 UTC 2010

Interesting article. Lots of growing pains in our Rt 1 communities. I
keep thinking "You can't have it both ways." Everyday riding the MARC
train I look out the window at the scene at EYA, I start salivating at
the thought of Tara Thai and Busboys & Poets opening before long.
These will be new destinations for many people in our area. That means
more traffic on Rt 1 (ugh!) and more people looking for alternative
ways to get around the congestion.

It's interesting to read the accounts of Crittenden - the whole street
is a calming device, between the speed bumps that exist and the
potholes that are everywhere!

I have no answers - I only hope that the creative folks who do this
for a living will both come up with some innovative ideas that work
AND listen to the needs of people in the neighborhoods being affected
by all the changes.

What if both Hyattsville and RP both somehow shut off Queensbury to
commuter, drive-through traffic.  If East-West Highway is a failed
artery now, will it come to a complete and utter standstill, like the
recent months-long traffic jam in China?