[RP TownTalk] Fwd: US 1 (Baltimore Avenue) at Queensbury Road

Lou King lking at knob.com
Fri Oct 29 22:29:37 UTC 2010

I think you are correct Dwight. By separating the east bound and west
bound traffic on Queensbury, left turns could be made during peak
traffic times.

My observation has been the east bound left turn, to north on US 1,
frequently block the intersection in the afternoon. In the morning west
bound left turns block Queensbury.

In the afternoon west bound traffic on Queensbury, which is cutting
through RP to avoid the 410/US1 intersection, is heavy. There is a full
flow of traffic continuing west. During the green this prevents any east
bound traffic turning north until the yellow/red light transition. At
that point they block the intersection and in some cases block the south
bound traffic.

In the morning the same west bound traffic cutting through RP wanting to
turn sound is blocked by the east bound Queensbury traffic. Because the
two west bound Queensbury lanes (left turn and straight) merge only 4 or
5 car lengths from the intersection, ~6 cars wanting to turn south from
west bound Queensbury block any west bound traffic on Queensbury.

By separating east bound from west bound traffic on Queensbury those
blocking actions would be removed and traffic would flow better --- IF
the Queensbury/US 1 intersection were in isolation, which it is not!

Given that the traffic on US 1 is overcapacity, and the traffic volume
on 410 is overcapacity, overflowing through RP onto Queensbury which is
as a result over loaded, any change will only effect traffic flow on the
margin. JMHO

The answer of course is to bulldoze Washington D.C. so that people don't
have a need to funnel onto East/West Highway and Baltimore Ave to get to
the arteries headed down town between RP and Tacoma Park.

Maybe rerouting US 1 through the Greenbelt Metro parking lot?

Of course your personal solution, mass transit, is part of the real
answer. How to get people's back sides out of their cars and into a
bus/train is some social engineering that has not been mastered locally.

One of the disadvantages of having disposable income is you don't have
to be rationale about how you dispose of it. We do love our cars.

Lou
O< ascii ribbon campaign - stop HTML mail - www.asciiribbon.org