[RP TownTalk] PEPCO and Irene

David Lingua djlingua at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 26 12:35:21 UTC 2011

Friends and neighbors,
I received this from VP PEPCO Region Maryland Affairs Jerry Pasternak
and wanted to share it with you. In preperation for Hurricane Irene,
Mr. Pasternak thought this information would be helpful in dealing
with any concerns. Hopefully all of us will come through this without
incident.
Dryest wishes,
-David

_____ . . . ___- - - ___ . . . ______ . . . ___ - - - ___ . . . ______
. . . ___- - - ___ . . . _____

                                                Pepco Storm Quick Facts

Reporting an Outage and the Restoration Process
Emergency Phone Numbers
If your power goes out, check to see if your neighbors have power. If your
home is the only one without power, check your circuit breakers or fuses
to determine if the outage is a result of a household problem. Do not
assume we automatically know about your outage. Please contact us
immediately.
Report outages:
1-877-PEPCO-62 (1-877-737-2662)

Report downed wires and life-threatening emergencies:
1-877-Pepco-62 (1-877-737-2662) and press two.
TTY: 202-872-2369
Outage maps and restoration updates can be accessed online at
www.pepco.com. Click on the Your Home tab and select the Outages the
Emergency Preparedness page.

Important Safety Tips
If you see a downed power line, stay away from it. Assume that all downed
power lines are live and extremely dangerous. Don?t touch any person or
object that is in contact with a power line; the current could flow
through you. Immediately call the emergency service number at
1-877-Pepco-62 (1-877-737-2662) and press two to report downed wires. Call
911 only if there is an associated emergency such as a fire, automobile
accident or, if medical assistance is required. Also:
·       Never attempt to remove trees or limbs from any utility line.
Assume all objects touching a power line are energized.
·       If you use a portable generator during a power outage, always
operate it according to the manufacturer?s directions, outside and away
from doors and windows to avoid deadly carbon monoxide.
·       If you have a flooded basement in your home, never attempt to turn
off power or operate circuit breakers while standing in water.
How We Restore Power
Our damage assessment and restoration process begins once the storm has
passed and it?s safe for our personnel to proceed with gathering
information and determining the extent of the damage in the affected
areas. Your telephone call reporting an outage is vital because it will be
combined with other customers? calls and computer programs will analyze
that information to make a prediction as to what lines or other equipment
may be out of service. This helps our line crews find the locations of the
outages more quickly.
We then proceed using a system of priorities that have been developed
taking into account public safety, community needs and the nature of the
electric distribution system.
In the event our system is damaged by severe weather, Pepco focuses on
restoring power in a sequence that enables power restoration to public
health and safety facilities and to the greatest number of customers as
quickly as possible. The typical sequence, many of which occur
simultaneously, is as follows:
1.      Downed live wires or potentially life-threatening situations and
public health and safety facilities without power.
2.      Transmission lines serving thousands of customers.
3.      Substation equipment.
4.      Main distribution lines serving large numbers of customers.
5.      Secondary lines serving neighborhoods.
6.      Service lines to individual homes and businesses.
Outages and Emergency Preparedness
Frequently Asked Questions
Why does my neighbor have power but I don?t?

Sometimes, you may notice your neighbor?s lights come back on while you
are still without power. There may be several explanations ? it may be
that your neighbors are on a different supply line or there may be trouble
just on the section of the line supplying your immediate area. The cause
of the outage may be isolated to one fuse, one transformer or a group of
transformers, or the problem may be on the service line connected to your
residence. If all of your surrounding neighbors? lights are on and you are
still without power, check your breaker box for a tripped circuit breaker
or blown fuse. If that does not appear to be the case, please call us to
report your outage using the outage reporting number 1-877- Pepco-62
(1-877-737-2662).
Why is Pepco often unable to give out exact restoration times?

We continually work to improve upon our ability to provide restoration
times to customers. Several considerations come into play when estimating
restoration times. One important factor, particularly after a large storm,
is completion of our damage assessment. Until the assessment is done, it
is hard to provide a restoration time, especially in cases where we have
sustained massive numbers of outages. Other factors include weather,
accessibility to damaged areas, coordination with other agencies working
on the storm restoration such as public works, tree removal, and changing
public safety and health priorities, all of which may affect our
estimates. We do everything we can to provide an estimate of restoration
time as soon as it reasonably can be done. Even then, it is possible that
estimates may change during the course of restoration as field crews
arrive on the scene.
When you call us to report a power outage, we provide an estimate for
restoration based on current reported field conditions and predictions
from our automated Outage Management System (OMS).
When a repair crew arrives on the scene, they may discover additional or
more complex problems that require additional time, equipment or crews.
They will update the restoration time estimate and we will reflect those
changes when you call again to check on the status of the restoration.
In recent months we have made many improvements to help us provide better
estimates and more information, including upgrades to our Outage
Management System (OMS), improved wires-down, damage assessment and crew
management processes, additional cross training for employees who will
assist customers during emergency situations, and outage maps displayed in
our ?Storm Center?. We?ve also added additional customer service
representatives and doubled customer service and emergency phone and
voicemail capacities.
Why do Pepco crews sometimes leave my neighborhood before power is
restored?

Crews working near your home - even across the street - may be fixing a
feeder that does not serve your home or may be securing downed wires for
follow-up by repair crews. Or, there could be more than one location on
the power line that is damaged. If you see our crews leaving your area
without restoring power, another area may need to be repaired to activate
your line or they may need specialized equipment to finish repairs. Also,
in severe storms with widespread damage, we may need to physically assess
damage before restoration begins. If you see a truck leave your
neighborhood before your power goes back on, please rest assured that we
are not ignoring your problem.
Why is it that when a crew responds to my report of a wire down at my home
or neighborhood, they are ?standing by? or not working to get my lights
back on?

Public safety is our number one priority and when we receive a report of a
wire down, we will dispatch the closest available line crew to respond.
However, in the event of storms where we have massive outages, we may
first send other Pepco personnel to: 1) relieve fire services or police
personnel until a line crew can arrive, 2) stand by to make sure the area
is safe to the public until a line crew can arrive, or 3) if the wire is
not Pepco's, identify it as cable TV, telephone, or other
telecommunications wire.

--
David J. Lingua
Councilman, Ward 3