[RP TownTalk] Old favorites & new programs coming up at Riversdale!

Ferris, Samantha Samantha.Ferris at pgparks.com
Fri Feb 4 20:56:34 UTC 2011

Hi friends!

Riversdale is certainly happy that Punxsutawney Phil is calling for a
short winter, but, if you're looking for a few ways to bide your time
while winter is still with us, look no further than Riversdale! February
marks our Black History Month programming, and March brings some program
favorites - Hands-on History and Tavern Night! To sign up for programs,
please call 301.864.0420 and we'll get you all signed up!

Black History Month programs:
This coming Tuesday, February 8, 7:30 pm; $5 adults & $2.50 students
"Had on and Took with Her", an illustrated lecture presented by costume
historian Ann Wass that highlights the clothing of 19th century African
Americans.
Sunday, February 27 from noon-3:30pm; FREE (regular fees for house
tours)
Seasonal Selections: The Plummers' Kitchen Later in the month, the
Kitchen Guild pays homage to Riversdale's enslaved Plummer family with
their FREE open hearth demonstration, featuring recipes and practices of
enslaved Afro-Marylanders. Great for kids & homeschool enrichment!

Friday, March 4,  10am-3pm

Architect's Apprentice The Hands-on History Apprenticeship series
continues with the trade of the architect. Your 8-12 year old architect
wannabes are welcome to come spend the day sketching, modeling,
sculpting and even acting out some of Riversdale's unique architectural
features! Keep your eyes peeled for school flyers, but don't wait too
long to sign up, as we always end up with a full bunch of apprentices
long before the registration deadline!
Registration is required by Friday, February 25 - $15 residents of
Prince George's & Montgomery Counties & $18 for non-resident friends

Saturday, March 12, 8pm
Tavern Night  Guests ages 21 & up, get ready to raise a "Huzzah!" as you
enjoy this popular program. Partake of period tavern fare and beverages
(this year's menu includes meat pies, malt vinegar potato wedges,
Shrewsbury cakes & more)!  As always, the Ship's Company Chanteymen
delight visitors with their songs and stories. If you've never been to
a Riversdale program, this is a great opportunity! Registration is
required by March 3 and capacity is limited. Schedule the babysitter now
& sign up soon! $20 for residents of Prince George's and Montgomery
Counties and $24 for non-residents

**RIVERSDALE WILL BE CLOSED:  February 18 & 25, March 4 & 11 and
Sundays: February 13 & 20**

Should you be planning a visit to Riversdale in the near future, please
be advised the museum will be CLOSED on the above dates, as our HVAC
(heating, ventilation & air conditioning) system is being upgraded to a
new, geothermal system. This will ensure the safety of our collection
and the comfort of visitors and volunteers, but does require a brief
period of closure as work progresses and the old heating system is shut
off. We apologize for the inconvenience, but I assure you that
experiencing the house as the Calverts would have in the middle of
winter (frozen wash basins in the morning and ice on the inside of the
windows), would not be very comfortable for guests! Should you have any
questions, please feel free to call the office and check our website for
updates,
http://www.pgparks.com/Things_To_Do/History/Riversdale_House_Museum.htm.

Happy weekend!
Samantha

Samantha Ferris

Education Coordinator

Riversdale House Museum

6005 48th Avenue

Riverdale Park MD 20737

301.864.0420 // TTY 301.446.3302 // fax 301.927.3498

Samantha.Ferris at pgparks.com <mailto:Samantha.Ferris at pgparks.com>  //
www.pgparks.com <http://www.pgparks.com>