[RP TownTalk] A note from your TownTalk list moderator

Dwight Holmes dwightrholmes at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 15:45:06 UTC 2011

OK, a few things:

1) I apologize for my earlier redundant messages.  My gmail seemed to be
frozen, and then indicated the first attempt hadn't gone out, so I resent
it. Then both showed up.  <sigh>

2) I was mistaken about what happened this morning.  I thought Don had
replied to Jeffrey's post offlist, then Jeffrey had cc'd the list on his
reply to Don. I was mistaken - as became painfully clear not long
afterwards. While my admonition about cc:'ing the List on a personal email
remains, I believe, sound advice, it does not speak to what occurred this
morning.

3) The rules of this list really aren't complicated.  No electioneering, and
no personal bashing of people: stick to the issues.  "No ad hominem
attacks."

4) Once again these rules of good neighborliness have been breached.

The topic of the proposed Cafritz property development and all that it
entails is momentous for our town. The issues are real, and have very long
term impact. There are no easy answers and little here is black-and-white
clear. I thought we were having an interesting discourse reflecting valid
and contrasting views on some of the issues involved.

And then suddenly some people decided to go totally personal, injecting
their personal feelings about one of the individuals involved in the
discussion into their responses. There is simply no excuse for this. It
spoils the atmosphere for everyone involved. It is this type of (repeated)
behavior that is responsible for many people choosing to unsubscribe, and
I'm convinced it is responsible for a steady drop in list traffic.

I would ask everyone to take a deep breath before hitting the SEND button,
each and every time you are posting to the list.