[RP TownTalk] graffiti and art

Sue Collins wheadle at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 23 15:06:17 UTC 2011

I agree that art is in the eye of the beholder or of the creator of said
artwork.  However, if we're talking about someone painting or drawing on
property that his not his/hers, then it becomes vandalism.  As far as I'm
concerned, no matter WHAT the definition of art, it all boils down to having
respect for the property of others.  Someone wants to paint a wall, a railroad
car, the sidewalk, that's fine; as long as they own it or have permission from
the owner.

I guess if we REALLY wanted to open up a can of beans about rights, we could use
that religious group that protests at funerals as another example; is what
they're doing free speech and exercising their religious rights, or is it
harassment?  If we say free speech, then what is to prevent me from standing on
your front lawn at 2 in the morning, screaming obscenities?  Here again, respect
for others.........    (JMO)