[RP TownTalk] Osama Bin Laden, Closer to Home

Jeffrey Yorke yorkedial at gmail.com
Tue May 3 02:05:45 UTC 2011

I am a little uncomfortable with cheering about Osama Bin Laden being dead.
Don't get me wrong, I am glad he's gone, glad this sorry chapter in American
life is closing, or could be closed soon. It's just that ihis finally being
caught doesn't necessarily leave me in a cheerful mood. This past decade has
been no bowl of cherries for any of us in the US. Or for our friends around
the world. (Neither was the stretch from Nov. 22, 1963 (JFK in Dallas) to
April 4, 1968, (MLK, Jr), to two months later June 5/6, (RFK), and the
entire Vietnam War era and watching it unfold on the nightly news. As a
youngster, it just plain made me nervous.)

But this morning I was thinking of someone I never met, never knew. And
somehow, may never get over. I had to Wiki them tonight to get the names of
the family in University Park who died on September 11, totally innocent
victims on American Flights 77 out of Dulles Airport, bound for Los Angeles.
 They were the Falkenberg/Whittington family - Charles, Zoe, and Dana
Falkenberg and Leslie Whittington. All killed when the plane struck the
Pentagon.  Also aboard was  Asia Cottom, an 11-year-old student at Bertie
Backus Middle School in NE DC and her teacher heading to LA for a National
Geographic Society ecology conference accompanied by two beloved NGS
executives, Ann Judge and Joe Ferguson. They are all part of life's tangled
web that reminds us that all this crazy stuff happening so far away has
tentacles in our backyards and just over the neighbor's fence. Sometimes
it's even in our own homes. I won't even start on what's happened since, the
sacrifices our military families have  endured, the costs, the politics...
It just has me thinking ...

--
Jeffrey Yorke
Yorke Property Management, Inc.