[RP TownTalk] June 4, 2011 - Heritage Bike Rally (Repost for corrections)

Aaron Marcavitch acornhp at yahoo.com
Wed May 18 15:46:07 UTC 2011

All,

It was brought to my attenion that I neglected to let everyone know the LOCATION of the rally!  I apologize for that.  We will be meeting up at the old 94th Aero Squadron Parking Lot on 5240 Paint Branch Parkway in College Park. Look for signs.  Information reformatted below - please forward!

-----------------------------------
Bike Riders, Outdoor Enthusiasts, History Buffs, and Community Advocates!

Join Anacostia Trails Heritage Area Inc., Prince George's County,
Maryland-National Capital Parks and Planning Commission, the City of College Park, University of Maryland and the College Park Neighborhood Business Alliance for an exploration of the Heritage Area on National Trails Day! We have four routes - a "trike" ride for our youngest heritage travelers will loop around Lake Artemesia; a longer route for the young adults will ride through College Park and University of Maryland (14 mi); an adult ride will explore the early history of the region and War of 1812 (17 mi); and an "advanced" rider program of approximately 25 miles will take riders out and beyond the ATHA borders.

We will also be willing to take anyone who is interested in a much shorter "learner" ride.  This will introduce those interested to the trail system, the heritage area, and our resources.  The length of the ride will be determined by those participating.

Registration starts at 8:30 at 5240 Paint Branch Parkway in College Park (the old 94th Aero Squadron Parking lot). County Executive Rushern Baker, County Council Vice President Eric Olson, and College Park Mayor Andrew Fellows will kick us off at 9:30 and lunch will be available starting around 11:30.

Pre-registration and bike rental reservations are available on ATHA's website, (Bike rentals NOT available on-site and are provided via Bike and Roll DC.)  T-shirt, breakfast, a BBQ lunch, and live music will be provided as part of the registration fee. College Park Aviation Museum and College Park Farmers Market will be open for participants to visit. REI and local businesses have stepped up to support this program. The College Park Metro is only a few blocks away, the
Trail system leads to the site and there is plenty of parking. Bike repair techs will be onsite for safety checks

More information and registration visit http://www.anacostiatrails.org

Please Spread The Word!

P.S. - its not to late to participate as a local business or interested group. Drop me a line at aaron at anacostiatrails.org if you would like to participate.

Aaron Marcavitch