[RP TownTalk] Whole Foods in Riverdale Park?

Sarah Wayland sarah.wayland at gmail.com
Sat May 21 14:32:47 UTC 2011

I'd heard rumors about this, but the possibility of a Whole Foods
Market going in on the Cafritz property on the east side of Route 1 is
looking more certain....

http://riverdalepark.patch.com/articles/cafritz-property-slated-to-bring-major-retail-to-riverdale-park?ncid=M255

Cafritz' Property Slated to Bring Major Retail to Riverdale Park:
While residents welcome adding retail like Whole Foods to the
neighborhood, the development raises concerns about traffic and
infrastructure.

By Linsey Isaacs | May 20, 2011

A local property in Riverdale Park is slated to bring an array of
prominent retail for a multi-use development, including a Whole Foods
market, but some intricate concerns may stagger its plans.

“We’re the perfect audience for Whole Foods,” Mayor John Tabori of
University Park said, in regards to the business’ customer base. “But
not if its’ not convenient and difficult to walk there, and if the
construction and development are disruptive.”

Three years ago, the 38.5-acre area of land off Route 1 owned by the
Cafritz family was tapped for development purposes, expected to turn
into a multi-use property. The plans had since stagnated as
speculation surrounded whether the plans were legit, until the owners
sat down with county officials on May 12 to present plans for Whole
Foods and the rest of their available retail space.

Former Riverdale Park Councilwoman Alice Ewen (Ward 1) is excited
about the ambitious plans that are being offered and particularly
excited about Whole Foods coming to Riverdale Park and Prince George’s
County.

Ewen said the area would greatly benefit from having a variety of
housing — like condominiums, townhouses and upscale apartments — and
new retailers.

However, she’s glad to hear that all parties involved are coming
together to find solutions.

“We’d been talking to them and they showed us that Whole Foods was
real,” said Brad Frome, Deputy Chief of Staff. “They wanted to show
folks that this was reality and that we want to be apart of this
project.”

Frome sat in the meeting with County Executive Rushern Baker, and
asserted that while they weren’t in favor of the whole project yet,
since it hasn’t presented itself in full, they do support the idea of
bringing the market to Riverdale Park. It would be the first in Prince
George's County.

That, and the bulk of retail that Cafritz’ development will bring, is
a great amenity to residents, Frome said. Plenty of residents shop at
Whole Foods but leave the county to do so; bringing the store to
Riverdale Park will help residents benefit from the tax revenue it
will generate.

Despite its benefits, it’s the first round of planning for the
development, and the overwhelming challenges of the location will make
it difficult to get full support from all parties involved.

“I think there are challenges with the overall development,” said
Councilman Eric Olson. “They’re proposing a large scale development.
When you put a large scale development on the corridor, you have to be
aware of the transportation challenges.”

According to Olson, there is limited infrastructure in the area. A
heavy retail strip will only further congest the Route 1, which is
already experiencing back ups and is at full capacity.

“We want a more walkable bike-able and pedestrian-oriented community
environment,” Ewen said. “At the same time I think there’s room for
development in the area.”

.....  [Th rest of the very long article is here:
http://riverdalepark.patch.com/articles/cafritz-property-slated-to-bring-major-retail-to-riverdale-park?ncid=M255]

-Sarah

--
Sarah Wayland