[RP TownTalk] Critical Issue for Small Business in Riverdale Park, PLEASE READ

Dannielle Glaros dmglaros at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 17:17:53 UTC 2011

Friends,

Since Councilman Olson has already received a few emails on this topic
today, I thought it may be helpful if I share some more details in regard
to this project.  Councilman Olson's office has been working extensively
with Jimmy Spiropolous, who is coordinating this project, and we are as
excited as you that they are growing their business.  Due to our work with
Jimmy and their experience with the process, we have requested the
following be explored to ensure that the process is smoother: 1) we have
requested that MUTC when meeting with applicants provide a checklist to
ensure that no step is overlooked;  2) we have requested in multiple
meetings that the County's permit process be reexamined (I understand it is
and we are regularly following up and assisting); and 3) we are looking at
other procedures that may need to be addressed to make the process smoother.

For a little addiitonal background, Riverdale Park MUTC guidelines require
a "special permit" for all liquor stores.  These guidelines were approved
by the Town when it worked with the County to establish the zone and the
uses allowed.  It is the standard in this juridisdication as well as others
that once a location changes, the owner needs to follow all new regulations
and existing requirements.  While the applicant should have been notified
of this need at an earlier stage, Park and Planning cannot decide which use
requirements to follow or not to follow.  They must enforce the regulations
in the existing MUTC zone.  A "special permit" does require additional
steps.

The process for Dumm's Corner Market has not been as easy as it could have
been.  And, while I cannot change that for them, except to continue to help
and support them at this stage, we can work to make it smoother for the
next applicant.  From my discussions with Park and Planning Staff, I
understand that the public hearing should go smoothly for Dumm's.  Please
know that we are doing everything possible to support this business.

Take care,

Dannielle Glaros
Chief of Staff
Councilman Eric Olson