[RP TownTalk] Executive Session in Riverdale Park, Open Meeting in College Park

Kate Kelly kelly.kate at verizon.net
Thu Sep 8 11:36:00 UTC 2011

Last night, I sent this note to the mayor and council of Riverdale Park and
to the mayors of University Park and Hyattsville, among others.
KK

Good evening.

Joe Kelly and I got home a little while ago from the Cafritz information
session, which the City of College Park sponsored for the residents of
Calvert Hills, a neighborhood that is adjacent to the northern end of the
Cafritz site. The hope is that residents will have learned enough about the
project to form an opinion, which they would pass along to their elected
officials, who in turn would develop a position to pass along to the
planning board and the county council.

We were disappointed at the contrast with the process here in Riverdale
Park, on several accounts, puzzled on others.

Why was this expanded, single-issue format not part of the process in
Riverdale Park before our council went into executive session on this
matter?

When is the next such meeting? If one is not planned in Riverdale Park, how
will the residents of this town--not just those who follow the email
list--weigh in? Is there sufficient interest in everyone's opinions for the
council to solicit them more diligently than has been the case so far?
Despite the reassuring nature of Vernon's note about the process that was
posted this evening on TownTalk, I do not believe everyone has been heard on
this matter.

The Calvert Hills presentation was organized as a separate meeting with a
one-item agenda. It was not part of a work session or legislative meeting.
As a result there was more time and attention given to this matter, which
represents the largest change in this area--and certainly for our
town--probably since Route 410 was built.

Far more detail was presented tonight than at the meeting last summer in
University Park or at the meeting last week in Riverdale Park.

Terry Schum, the College Park city planner, opened the meeting with about 30
minutes of explanation of the process and the project. Her remarks were
comprehensive and informative. The process is complex, and she did a good
job of explaining it. Our town planner did a decent job, too. Where is his
report for all to see?

The developers' representatives (attorney, architect, traffic planner, and
site engineers) explained in slightly more detail their vision and plans.
Although most of the details were still sketchy, there was more than we
heard here in Riverdale Park, where the new businesses and residences will
be located. Did you know, for example, that part of the traffic abatement
plan involves adding new turning lanes heading north on Route 1 from the
eastbound lanes of Route 410? Or that part of the traffic improvement would
involve taking land on either side of Route 1 north of that intersection? I
think I heard that, anyway. I would not know that if I had stopped following
the process and stayed home tonight.

Audience questions were taken after the presentation. No one was subjected
to a time limit; followup questions were permitted. For all that, the same
questions were asked and ducked. The answers were no more satisfactory, to
me at least, but some were more comprehensive than what I heard last week.

Then, after two hours, there was a "breakout" period during which audience
members were invited to put specific questions to the various experts.

I'm looking forward to Riverdale Park doing as much. But in the mean time,
I'd like to know when the site plans and traffic and economic data will be
posted on the town's Web site. I am also hoping for a full public disclosure
on tonight's executive session.

Who's going to represent my point of view?

Thanks for your time,
Kate Kelly

P.S. With 995 new residences in town, are we facing redistricting?