[RP TownTalk] Executive Session - Open & Closed Meetings

Jonathan W. Ebbeler jebbeler at efusionconsulting.com
Fri Sep 9 13:09:05 UTC 2011

Friends/Neighbors –

If I may, I would like to  weigh in on the Executive Session discussion to
hopefully provide some clarity.

Most of this may be found here
(http://www.oag.state.md.us/Opengov/Openmeetings/support.htm )

Chapter 4 specifically deals with defining the narrow reasons why it is
prudent and necessary from time to time for elected officials to have closed
meetings.  According to the Maryland Open Meetings Act Manual (7th ed.)
there are fourteen (14) circumstances under which a public body may close a
meeting:

- §10-508(a)(1): discussion of personnel matters including actions,
compensation issues, performance evaluation

- §10-508(a)(2): to protect the privacy or reputation of individuals with
respect to a matter that is not public business

- §10-508(a)(3): the acquisition of real property

- §10-508(a)(4): proposals for business or industrial organizations to
locate, expand, or remain in the State

- §10-508(a)(5): the investment of public funds

- §10-508(a)(6): the marketing of public securities

- §10-508(a)(7): to consult with counsel to obtain legal advice

- §10-508(a)(8): to consult with any individual about pending or potential
litigation

- §10-508(a)(9): to conduct collective bargaining negotiations

- §10-508(a)(10): the discussion of public security if public discussion is
a risk to the public or public security

- §10-508(a)(11): the preparation, administration, or grading of a
scholastic, licensing, or qualifying examination

- §10-508(a)(12): to conduct or discussion of an investigative proceeding on
actual or possible criminal conduct

- §10-508(a)(13): to comply with a specific constitutional, statutory, or
judicially imposed requirement that prevents public disclosure (i.e.
federal/state law)

- §10-508(a)(14): to discuss a matter directly related to a negotiating
strategy or the contents of a bid or proposal

The meeting on Wednesday was closed per §10-508(a)(4).  Also of note, we
also had an Executive Session on August 15th per §10-508(a)(1) to afford the
full Council a chance to interview at length and probe the personnel record
of our newly appointed and confirmed Chief of Police.

In the Legislative Meeting that was held on Tuesday (and lasted until after
midnight), a resolution was passed to engage in negotiations to purchase the
property on Route 1 known as Jey’s Auto.  Although §10-508(a)(3) could have
been invoked in initial discussions, this topic was instead brought up at
the prior week’s work session for full public scrutiny and comment.  The
Open Meetings Act provides for closed sessions, but Mayor and Council strive
to, wherever possible, keep meetings open to public discussion.

Please also note that the Cafritz Conceptual Site Plan (CSP), traffic study,
and filed application with MNCPPC (Park & Planning) is currently at Town
Hall and is available for public inspection and I invite ALL to take a look.
I am hopeful that our town staff in the near future will scan these
voluminous documents and make them available on the town website at a
minimum.  I would be happy to suggest to staff that these be put out for
public review on the table during any Town meeting.

This is a project that impacts us all and will have impacts that will be
felt for decades.  If the Council can better address your concerns, PLEASE
contact us.  I, myself, have tried to be responsive to any constituent
concern.  If we can do a better job in disseminating out information and you
have suggestions how, bring it to our attention.  I would love to see the
room packed with people at the next informational session (tentatively
scheduled for Sep 22nd or thereabouts).  The Council has asked the Mayor and
staff to produce an informational mailer (hopefully in both English and
Spanish) to be distributed to every household in town prior to this meeting.
I strongly encourage people to attend and make your voices heard!

Best,

Jonathan

Jonathan W. Ebbeler | Councilmember – Ward One

Town of Riverdale Park
 <mailto:jebbeler at riverdaleparkmd.gov> jebbeler at riverdaleparkmd.gov

<http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Pyt=Tmap&addr=2000+Airport+Road%2C+Suite+1
25&csz=Atlanta%2C+GA+30341&country=us> 5008 Queensbury Road
Riverdale Park, MD 20737
Office:
<http://www.plaxo.com/click_to_call?lang=en&src=jj_signature&To=888%2D861%2D
8881&Email=jebbeler at efusionconsulting.com> 301-927-6381