[RP TownTalk] Jey's Auto

Jonathan W. Ebbeler jebbeler at efusionconsulting.com
Thu Sep 15 18:34:23 UTC 2011

Hi Sue -

I tried to be  clear in my prior emails concerning the reasons the town is
considering the purchase of this property; it seems I have failed and for
this I apologize.  I will try again.

I cannot speak to the situation you mentioned concerning town improvements,
projects etc.; I was not a part of any prior administration and have only
held office since June 2011.  As you have indicated, town's financial
futures ebb and flow.  We are fortunate enough to have multiple revenue
streams that are not tied to just property and income taxes.  We have not
always had these - the increased revenues started over the last 12-24 months
with projects like M-Square coming on-line.

As I have stated, this situation is a highly unique given that it concerns a
building whose Occupancy and Use will not be permitted in the future.  We
are not pursuing this course of action because we want or need the property;
we are pursuing it because the Town can put the property to its best use
whereas the current owner will not.  It is not anticipated that the Town
will hold this property in perpetuity and any future resell will result in
the Town's coffers being repaid  for all public tax money that was spent on
the acquisition..  We are dealing with other properties like the vacancies
at Town Center in a different manner (i.e. there is no compelling reason at
this time to engage  in negotiations to purchase them when we have other
methods and tools to achieve the same ends - a healthy, vibrant, and
economically viable Town Center).

If you have specific projects that you would like to bring forward to the
Council, I encourage you to do so.  While Town Talk is a great forum to air
grievances, the more proper place is to give public comment at one of the
meetings and to work with your representative Councilmember (which I believe
I am).  Again, I did not represent you in the past and I hope that you will
judge your experiences with me based on my actions vs. your previous history
with the Town.  The surplus that our current budget year has allowed the
Town to reduce your taxes and the consummation of the land transfer of Jey's
Auto will afford the town additional opportunities to lower residents taxes.
Although not as visible as giving every a check, every resident, cardboard
sign or not, did receive some financial assistance in that everyone will
keep more of their hard-earned money vs. paying more in taxes.

Best,

Jonathan