[RP TownTalk] Jey's Auto

Jonathan W. Ebbeler jebbeler at efusionconsulting.com
Mon Sep 19 20:12:37 UTC 2011

All -

I think it is wonderful to have a town that promotes such a spirited debate
in the truest sense of our country's democratic traditions.  Melissa's point
is well taken and I will continue to advocate the position as long as it is
supported by the majority of residents.  The feedback I have received
supporting the resolution outnumbers those opposing it 5 to 1.  That being
said, this is by no means a settled issue in my mind; as I have attempted to
communicate we are only investigating our options right now.  Our history of
democracy reflects that the rule of law is represented by the will of the
majority of the people BUT respectful of the fact that the rights of ALL
citizens must be accommodated and that the law must apply EQUALLY to all
citizens, both the majority and the minority.

This is a complicated issue made even more so by the fact that while our
Town and the MUTC committee may have an opinion on the property, ultimately
it is the will of MNCPPC that ultimately makes a decision.  Recent history
has shown that MUTC and the Town Council may take a position in opposition
to MNCPPC only to be overruled by this body that is appointed not elected.

I realize this is a frustrating process for many of you; it is frustrating
for me as well.  I appreciate the civility towards this topic that has more
or less prevailed.  In any democracy there are bound to be disagreements but
I believe this to be a healthy process of  any debate.

I would like to issue a continued challenge to all though, on this topic as
well as others;  on issues where there is disagreement, propose solutions
and alternatives, do not just be critical of ideas and opinions.  Jey's has
been a great example of where people have offered up alternatives or asked
the basic questions that Town Officials should be obligated to answer.  I
think this has provided much more clarity towards why positions are being
taken.

The following is probably an incomplete recapitulation but hopefully more
inclusive than exclusive of the topics discussed:

1)    Environmental Concerns:  the gas tanks have been removed but there are
possible brownfield issues - this will impact issues like price and our
willingness to proceed;

2)    Tax Payers Money:  If RP does acquire the property it is anticipated
to be at worst a revenue neutral transaction and at best a revenue positive
transaction; there are many potential suitors the town could resell to;

3)    Jey vs. Town Center:  There are three primary reasons for focusing on
Jey's: a) it allows our town to build upon the success of EYA and continue
high quality development northward along Rte. 1, b) Jey's is not code
compliant nor has the owner indicated an interest in bringing it into
compliance, the Douglas properties are very responsive to code issues, c)
Jey's problem is an Occupancy and Use issue (he wants a gas station MNCPPC
will not allow), the Town Center buildings do not have a singular myopic
focus - they will take anyone willing to pay;

4)    Work with Jey:  The town has tried over the last several years - we
are currently in a stalemate; Jey only wants a gas station, which is a Use
that will not be approved via the special exception path;

5)    Why do it:  The Town Charter and Code obligate elected officials to
deal with situations of urban blight; we would be derelict in our duty and
in our violation of oath of office if we turned a blind eye;

6)    Purchase:  We are attempting to engage in this conversation out of
good faith before the Town explores condemnation proceedings;

7)    Zoning:  MUTC zoning exists to promote pedestrian-oriented mixed use
and to protect our historical heritage through enforcement of allowable
occupancy and usage permitting;

8)    Conformance:  The existing building and general site on Jey's are not
in conformance with MUTC zoning: four of the large ticket items are having
parking in front, too many parking spaces,  it is only one-story (2-4 are
required at this site), and the building is setback too far - the build-to
line is much closer to the street (and many other reasons);

I appreciate all the comments, especially from the long-term residents in
town.  I looked at over 50 houses over a two-year period before I purchased
my house on Oliver Street.  I have no intentions of ever selling the house
and as only the 3rd owner in its 120+ year life I expect to leave it
feet-first.  I am a proud steward of the William Wilson house and currently
in the process of having it placed on the Prince George's Historic Registry.
Regardless of where my life takes me I will be a resident in RP and care a
great deal about not only the town as it exists today, but the decisions
that are being made and how those will impact our lives 10, 20, or 30 years
from now.

Best,

Jonathan

Jonathan Ebbeler

Town of Riverdale Park | Councilmember - Ward One

4711 Oliver Street