[RP TownTalk] On parking and biking at the Shoppes

Chris Currie crcurrie at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 13:40:11 UTC 2011

Bart, while I agree that a parking shortage can't help business at the
Shoppes, I think that it's easy to exaggerate that concern.  Busboys and
Poets is driving the lion's share of traffic at the shopping center, and
they thrive in two D.C. locations with much less dedicated parking than they
have here.  People are willing to put up with parking hassles for an urban
experience, which is what they're getting at the Shoppes.

A bigger concern than sinking businesses at the Shoppes is that the parking
shortage could hurt Franklins, which plays in a slightly different market.
 The "Franklins lot" is the most visible public parking near the Shoppes,
and it is full or near full on weekend evenings.  If some of those spots are
grabbed by Shoppes customers, then Franklins will definitely feel the pinch,
because the family crowd eating there is less likely to want to walk blocks
through downtown Hyattsville to get dinner.

I agree that the City parking on the west side of Route 1 is the most
promising near-term solution, but it is not easy to find.  Good logistics
and signage will be necessary.  This should be addressed sooner rather than
later ...

As an aside to Sue Collins' comment about public transportation, years ago
when I was on the Hyattsville City Council I floated a proposal to build a
heritage trolley line that would link Hyattsville's Rte. 1 commercial
district, the Riverdale Town Center, and the College Park Metro Station.  I
brought the nation's leading heritage trolley consultant down to do a
one-day analysis of the route and market considerations.  He agreed that the
nodes, linkages and the sheer interest of the route were auspicious, but
when he gave me a ballpark number for developing the line, I realized that
it wasn't likely to happen without major support from higher levels of
government, and that wasn't going to be forthcoming.

Fortunately, part of the right of way is probably going to be used for a
bike trail that will provide significant benefits at a tiny fraction of the
cost -- if we ever get it built.  I understand that we're close to breaking
ground on the Hyattsville side (several years after the Hyattsville Legacy
Trail Task Force I served on disbanded).  What's happening at Riverdale
Park's end?

Chris

Message: 1