[RP TownTalk] [RP Town Announce] Legislative Meeting Agenda

Melissa Avery m.avery at rocketmail.com
Sun Apr 1 13:47:19 UTC 2012

________________________________
 From: Lou King <lking at knob.com>
To: "towntalk at riverdale-park.org" <towntalk at riverdale-park.org>
Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2012 10:50 AM
Subject: Re: [RP TownTalk] [RP Town Announce] Legislative Meeting Agenda

Posters may not attack other list members for their choices or opinions, although they may suggest that certain opinions are worth evaluating or that there may be other points of view. We don't flame here - we respect the opinions of our fellow citizens. Because respect doesn't always mean saying "I agree", it's important to phrase challenges in such a way that it is clear that it is not the worth of the writer you are questioning, but rather the validity of the idea. What is a flame? It is important to recognize that to disagree respectfully, or to politely request a change of behavior, is not to "flame".
Melissa Avery wrote, On 3/31/2012 9:09 AM:

> Does anyone know who is beinggiven the job of designingthe new "youth
> wing" on the town hall?

Although your choice of words (and emphases) seems to me to be inflammatory, no one is being "given the job."  During resent Council Meetings and Work Sessions, the process of obligating Town funds and the limits of what may be expended by Town staff, Council, with or without the bid process have been discussed, heatedly and at length. Item #6 on the Legislative agenda was discussed during the Working Session last Monday, the 26th. If I remember correctly, the cost of architectural services currently under consideration are only marginally over the no bid limit.

By waiving the competitive bid requirement in this case several thousand tax dollars are saved in addition to moving forward this much needed expansion project.

> Where is it being located?

Those of us that have been paying attention over the past several years know that the extension of town hall has been planed to be located generally in front of Town Hall, between the current Council/general purpose room and street. I say "generally located" because as inferred in your first question a contract for architectural services has not been let therefore no final design.

> How much is the town paying for it?

Again without an architect, there is no final design without which only budget estimates of the final cost are available.

> Can the citizens see the proposed plan ?

Not to be redundant, but without the architect, only the most general conceptual plans are available.

> Do the citizens have any say in this process?

Of course. Although I have not personally attended the meetings, it is my understanding that those groups that regularly use the available space in the Town Hall have been involved in the initial planning of the new space.

Lou
O< ascii ribbon campaign - stop HTML mail - www.asciiribbon.org

For more information about Riverdale Park, visit http://www.riverdaleparkmd.info