[RP TownTalk] Lawsuit accuses Riverdale Park of speed camera fraud

James D. Holmes jdholmes at comcast.net
Fri Aug 10 01:15:46 UTC 2012

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/19210755/lawsuit-accuses-riverdale-park-of-speed-camera-fraud

Lawsuit accuses Riverdale Park of speed camera fraud
Updated: Aug 06, 2012 11:26 PM EDT
By Sherri Ly, @SherriLyFox5

  RIVERDALE PARK, Md. - Riverdale Park Police are accused of illegally
issuing thousands of speed camera tickets. A lawsuit filed Monday claims
employees used an officer's name to fraudulently sign off on tickets he
never saw. If true, the city could owe millions of dollars in refunds.

An officer inside the department blew the whistle, claiming tickets were
being issued with his name and a forged signature on them, but that he
never reviewed. The allegations are laid out in court documents accusing
the department of fraud.

The accusations angered Baruti Ngankoi.

"I paid like $120," he said, doing the math on three tickets at $40 each.

All of them were from the same camera at the intersection of Route 410
and Taylor Road.

The town is so small, it is easy to miss, but it has more than enough
speed enforcement cameras in its 1.6 square miles to catch drivers
passing through.

"I should get my money back," Ngankoi said.

A lawsuit filed in Prince George's County Circuit Court now claims the
police department failed to issue tickets by the book. An officer is
supposed to review each ticket under state law. Court documents show
Officer Clay Alford's name on a ticket that was issued when he was on
leave from the department.

"In my mind, I think that is fraud," said Attorney Tim Leahy of Byrd &
Byrd Law Firm, which filed the lawsuit.

Leahy represents Officer Alford and two plaintiffs ticketed by the town
that are now suing the town. Emails between the officer and two civilian
employees describes splitting up the citations saying, "We all will take
1000 and clear them out..." which is against state law for civilian
employees to do.

"People are receiving a citation that says a law enforcement officer
reviewed the images, and based on that review of those images, [it]
found that there was a violation," Leahy said.

The attorney estimates about two-thirds of the city's speed camera
tickets since 2009 were fraudulently approved using the officer's login
and a forged signature. In 2011, the town earned $1.8 million from speed
cameras, nearly a third of the town's budget.

The lawsuit demands those tickets be refunded.

"I think it's all about money," complained Ola Ijiwole, who drives
through the area.

Based on additional emails, the attorney also claims the department
rubber-stamped tickets in mere seconds.

"They completed a certain number in 3 and a half hours, which ended up
being about 19 seconds per approval time," Leahy said.

Riverdale Park Police did not return our call for comment. Neither did
the mayor.

Officer Alford's attorney says he came forward because he was
uncomfortable with his name being signed onto tickets he didn't review
and did not want to be in a position to possibly perjure himself if
called into court.

Read more:
http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/19210755/lawsuit-accuses-riverdale-park-of-speed-camera-fraud?clienttype=printable#ixzz236I77wu0