[RP TownTalk] ERCO

johnferg27 at aol.com johnferg27 at aol.com
Tue Feb 14 04:06:10 UTC 2012

There are good photos regarding ERCO in the recent book of photographs referred to by Melissa Avery.  Also, in The Riverdale Story -- a book produced to mark the Town's 75th anniversary, you can find text (p. 104) about the plane and the "after World War II" use of the site as manufacture of the planes continued. The book is available at the County (main) Library on Adelphi Road and a copy should be made available for residents to look, on request, at in the Town office (I don't know if there are any still available for purchase).

When Riggs Bank constructed its facility in the vicinity of the ERCO site, I requested that they install a pedestal with a stainless steel plaque and text about the Ercoupe.  This was installed on the access to the Riggs entrance that was most used.  It was still there when I moved from the Town in October 2001.  I know Riggs left the site a couple of years ago and one day when I was visiting the Town, I drove over to check on the plaque.  I found it was gone and I made mention of it to someone in the Town office, hoping I would learn it had been given to the Town.  I have heard nothing about it since then.  If anyone has information about what happened to it, I would be interested to hear.

Ann Ferguson