[RP TownTalk] ERCO

Dwight Holmes dwightrholmes at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 14:20:20 UTC 2012

I just realized that although I intended to reply to Nancy's original post,
I mistakenly sent it only to her, and not to the list. If you go to this
page and scroll down, there's a link to a website about the ERCO building
and airfield that is pretty interesting.

http://rpwiki.wetpaint.com/page/History
scroll down to
"Airports
ERCO Field (Airport) & Factory History (with photos and maps)"

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 9:17 AM, Dwight Holmes <dwightrholmes at gmail.com>
wrote:

> not to mention commercial potential!! ;-)
>

> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 9:15 AM, Jeffrey Yorke <yorkedial at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> I don't think anyone said anything about it NOT being haunted. I'd go
with the theory of a 7-year-old in this case and I'm a solid 50 years older
than him. But, haunted is good. There lie there real historians!

>> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 9:06 AM, Nancy Augustine <nya_md at verizon.net>
wrote:

>>> Thanks to all who chipped in so much information about the ERCO
building. I can't wait to tell my 7-year-old stepson that it's not haunted
(his default explanation for anything that looks out of place), it used to
be a very important place and another good reason for us to be proud of our
community.

>>> Nancy
>>> Riverdale Road
>>>

>>> Feb 13, 2012 11:06:21 PM, johnferg27 at aol.com wrote:
>>>

>>> There are good photos regarding ERCO in the recent book of photographs
referred to by Melissa Avery.  Also, in The Riverdale Story -- a book
produced to mark the Town's 75th anniversary, you can find text (p. 104)
about the plane and the "after World War II" use of the site as manufacture
of the planes continued. The book is available at the County (main) Library
on Adelphi Road and a copy should be made available for residents to look,
on request, at in the Town office (I don't know if there are any still
available for purchase).

>>> When Riggs Bank constructed its facility in the vicinity of the ERCO
site, I requested that they install a pedestal with a stainless steel
plaque and text about the Ercoupe.  This was installed on the access to the
Riggs entrance that was most used.  It was still there when I moved from
the Town in October 2001.  I know Riggs left the site a couple of years ago
and one day when I was visiting the Town, I drove over to check on the
plaque.  I found it was gone and I made mention of it to someone in the
Town office, hoping I would learn it had been given to the Town.  I have
heard nothing about it since then.  If anyone has information about what
happened to it, I would be interested to hear.

http://www.riverdaleparkmd.info