[RP TownTalk] Email re: Medicines in Canada

Sarah Wayland sarah.wayland at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 15:34:38 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 9:59 AM, Peggylint <peggylint at aol.com> wrote:
> Please tell me how the email with a link to purchasing medicines in Canada
> get onto the "TownTalk"  email list?

Jim Coleman's AOL account has been compromised. Jim was not on
moderated status, so his message was posted directly to the list.

First off, never EVER click a link in a message with no subject, and
no real introductory text. That's a recipe for getting your own
machine infected. If you clicked the link in Jim's message, your
machine may now be hijacked. PLEASE run antivirus software and (once
that's complete and you are CERTAIN that your machine is complete
clean - no keylogging software or malicious software of any sort) THEN
change all your passwords on your e-mail accounts.

Second, most listserves have little to no moderation. I know that
TownTalk has some moderation (e.g., messages from people who are not
subscribed to the list, including a mountain of spam, are moderated.
Our fabulous moderator (Dwight Holmes) has to read each of these
messages, letting through only those messages that are on topic. It's
a huge job.) And list members who have posted many messages following
the list guidelines are not on moderated status (unless the entire
list is moderated.)

I think Dwight does a heroic job, and I'm really grateful he does it.
(I used to be a list moderator, but had to resign when my husband was
elected to the town council, so I know first hand how much work it
is.) If we can all do our part to help him out, this will keep our
list a safe place to discuss issues pertaining to Riverdale Park.

-Sarah

--
Sarah Wayland
sarah.wayland at gmail.com