[RP TownTalk] Sad news- the passing of a longtime Riverdale Resident

kathy galleher kgalleher at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 24 02:51:09 UTC 2012

Dear Friends

For those of you who may not have heard, our dear neighbor Eugene "Jim" Reed passed away last Thursday.  He was a longtime (possibly life-long) Riverdale resident, who over the years was involved in many aspects of Riverdale Park.  He loved this town. I met him relatively recently (6 years ago) when I moved in next door to him and his wife Inez.  We had great talks over the garden fence and I admired his green thumb and the many colorful birds he faithfully fed.    He was one of the most generous hearted people I have ever met.  At 80 he was a regular volunteer with the 'old folks' over at Crescent City where often brought plants for residents and nurses alike.  I often came home to find he had cut my grass or shoveled my walk while I was out. (Put me to shame!).  I just wanted to make sure that others who knew and cared about him were aware of his passing. The funeral notice is below:
EUGENE L. REED
Of Riverdale Park, MD on January 19, 2012. Beloved husband of Inez Reed;
devoted father of Donna Rohrbaugh and Raymond Reed. Also survived by two grandchildren, two great-grandchildren and three sisters. Visitation at CHAMBERS FUNERAL HOME, 5801 Cleveland Ave., Riverdale, MD on Wednesday, January 25 at 10 a.m. where services will be held at 11 a.m. Interment
Ft. Lincoln Cemetery.

In lieu of flowers, donations to Hospice of Chesapeake are welcome.

Kathy