[RP TownTalk] Arson Arrest

Stephen C. Lamphier lamphs at aol.com
Thu Jan 26 14:47:29 UTC 2012

I wanted to advise the community of this situation that occured yesterday.  Below is a copy of our press release, from www.riverdalevfd.org.

Steve Lamphier, President, Riverdale VFD

Wednesday, 25 January 2012 19:12

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Earlier today, a former volunteer with the department was arrested on charges of First Degree Arson stemming from the ongoing investigation into a number of arson fires in the area. He was arrested by out-of-state law enforcement agencies and awaits extradition back to Prince George’s County to stand trial for his alleged actions.
The Riverdale Fire Department has continued to cooperate with the PGF/EMSD and other law enforcement agencies during the course of this investigation. The Prince George’s County Fire Investigators were assisted by Special Agents for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) and the County Police Department in the investigation that led to the arrest. If convicted, this individual may face up to 30 years of potential prison time, fines up to $50,000 or both.
This arrest should in no way reflect on the dedication that the majority of volunteer firefighters and EMS personnel put forth each and every day protecting life and property. The Riverdale Fire Department and the many other volunteer organizations continue to provide a professional and competent volunteer force answering the majority of fire and EMS calls during nights, weekends and holidays. We continue to reinforce our commitment to the Town of Riverdale Park and the surrounding communities. The department stands steadfast against any such activity.
While these are the alleged actions of an individual, we as a department sincerely apologize to the community and ask that you not prejudge all volunteers on the basis of these allegations. As in any profession, there are those that do not act responsibly, and they will be called to answer. We appreciate the support we have received during the entire course of the investigation from our fellow volunteers and community, and we stand true to our motto: Always Ready to Serve.
This is the only statement, public or private, that the department will issue on this matter.