[RP TownTalk] District Council to Vote on Cafritz, Monday, July 9, in Upper Marlboro

Lou King lking at knob.com
Thu Jul 5 16:11:13 UTC 2012

There are several points I think should be made:

1. Whether you support or oppose the rezoning you should express your
opinion so elected official know you views. (even tong-in-cheek
suppression of others views is counter to what we are celebrating this
week.)

2. The Cafritz group was encouraged to use the M-UTC process.Through
that process the local communities have a larger say, opportunity to
review and affect any development project. Other zoning processes start
at the County level, skipping the local input/control level that the
M-UTC process provides. Personally, I'm in favor of local control/local
Government.

3. No matter what happens with the Cafritz property, M-Square when
completely built-out is projected to employ 6,500 people.
(http://msquare.umd.edu/about/um-research-park/) It is going to require
many good ideas to deal with that impact on the local communities
surrounding M-Square. Assuming 50 riders/bus that is 130 buses just to
get to work. Buses, trains, Purple Line all will be needed. The impact
of M-Square is going to "leak out" and impact the surrounding
communities even with the most optimistic projections for use of public
transit.

The proposal for the Cafritz property is just one of meany ideas that
will be needed to deal with the impact of M-Square. Cafritz could
provide housing for 900+ families/workers within walking/biking distance
of M-Square. Keep in mind not all of those 6,500 workers are going to be
higher income managers. For every manager or engineer there are several
supporting employees; facilities maintenance, food workers, secretaries,
technicians to clean the labs, English majors (hopefully) to write the
papers.

I live on Queensbury too, insight of the Baltimore Ave/East-West Highway
intersection. I see daily the effect of people traveling from where they
can find/afford housing to where their jobs are. I am all in favor of
moving their homes closer to their jobs. Not forcing more people onto
the roads to get to where the jobs are offered.

Lou
O< ascii ribbon campaign - stop HTML mail - www.asciiribbon.org