[RP TownTalk] Cafritz Vote

Lou King lking at knob.com
Wed Jul 11 20:55:12 UTC 2012

1. Your experience is defiantly different than mine. I see our elected
officials on the street; Walking my dog; I talked to one at the RR
crossing during the last car/train accident; I see them at the Farmer's
Market. I talk to them at Council Meetings, Working Sessions, Committee
meetings. I also use those opportunities to talk to our Chief of Police,
heads of Code Enforcement and Public Works Department to express my
opinion about what I think could be done better or what my concerns are.
As I said early in these threads, when needed I get phone/email replies.
Not only from my Councilperson (ward 1) but also Ward 2 (Head of
Finance) and Ward 3 (Public Works Committee). It has been a while but I
have also had useful conversations with Henry, Ward 4, (Public Safety).
  Mayor Archer and I, Councilperson Henry and I, (when I was a Chief
Election Judge) discussed what could be done to improve election
participation. We all agree election turnout is horrid.

2. Who's fault is it that more citizen don't register and vote? We have
been here before. We have discussed it before. Some people in town still
are not registered to vote and those that are still don't bother to come
to the polls. That has little to do with the current elected officials.
That has been true sense I first came to Riverdale and became a local
election judge for the County and Town. I know that Mayor/Council
members, although unopposed, have provided rides to the polls so that
residence could vote.

3. It is totally untrue that the Council Meetings do not follow Roberts
Rules of Order. I believe (don't know for sure) each Council member has
their own copy. During the Legislative Meeting (first Monday of the
month) I notice frequent reference to electronic copies of "Roberts
Rules" to make sure the proper procedure is being followed.
Councilperson Alan Thompson has been stopped proceedings more than once,
to make sure the votes, discussions, amendments are handled in the
correct sequence according to Robert's Rules.

Accusations do not make facts. Some wonder why more people don't get
into public service. Good people, good public servants, who have the
public good as their objective, have to respond to every groundless snip
and innuendo every time it is uttered. No matter how many times it is
shown to be wrong/faults they need to respond. If left unanswered, those
with no facts on their side can then say 'They did not respond (to my
groundless innuendo) therefore it must be true.' And there are those
that will believe that.

I think Councilperson Ebbeler, must have quit his day job, taken
vacation or decided 'what life' given the time spent respond to the same
old issues that have been brought up and discussed time and time again
this last year in public meeting, in several towns and on this forum. In
most cases the facts haven't change and it is obvious some opinions
haven't either.

Louis King
Riverdale, MD

Lou