[RP TownTalk] Agenda for March 5, 2012, Meeting of the Mayor and Council

Lou King lking at knob.com
Sun Mar 4 17:23:01 UTC 2012

I do not understand how people can hold elected officials responsible
for low election turnout.

Who is responsible for the fact that all Riverdale Park eligible voters
are NOT registered to vote?

Who is responsible for the fact that all registered Riverdale Park
voters did NOT cast a ballot last May?

Who is responsible for the fact that all the officers elected were
unopposed? In fact as I remember the Mayor had to actively recruit
candidates. I think I remember the facts correctly.

By contrast there are countries were voters are rounded up and bused to
the polls and forced to vote. Admittedly when I was an Election Judge we
went to The local elder healthcare facilities to assist residence
register to vote, request an Absentee Ballot and vote. I also remember
on election day calls coming into Town Hall requesting and getting help
to get to the poll.

Yet the results are as posted on the Town Website
http://www.riverdaleparkmd.info/election09.cfm  I think everyone is
responsible for their own action and the residences are responsible for
the results.

It has been said that we get the government we deserve. Although it is
'The American way' to complain about government, those that don't also
have the time to register, vote and participate in government are just
complaining - not doing anything to improve the situation.

I personally found the discussion at the Working session last Monday
lively, sometimes heated, and informative. For those that could not get
to Town Hall, the Working Session was broadcast on the public access
channel provided by each local cable franchises (#7 on the agenda for
Monday night).

The choice of words on the agenda for the Legislative Meeting Monday, as
always, reflects where in the legislative process an action item is
currently. Some items are being 'Introduced' (first reading) other were
introduced during the Feb Legislative Meeting, discussed during the
working Session last Monday and are now at the stage of 'Approval' or
disapproval. Some non-legislative item, like permits, were introduced
during the working session and discussed. They too are at the stage of
'Approval' (or disapproval) next Monday. The wording is standard
verbiage to reflect the current status of the item in the process, not
the anticipated results.

Lou
O< ascii ribbon campaign - stop HTML mail - www.asciiribbon.org