[RP TownTalk] mulch

Jason Morris litnhop at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 14:38:38 UTC 2012

Ms. Avery (and others)

A quick note about the mulch and compost offered by the Town of College
Park:

I picked up a cubic yard of their "Smartleaf Compost" (
http://www.collegeparkmd.gov/smartleaf.htm) back in the fall. (My wife and
I tend to do a great deal of yard stuff and have picked up bulk soil,
compost, etc.. from a variety of places in the area.)

The price was right and the employees were very helpful. My only caveat
would be that the screening process for the batch of Smartleaf (I can't
speak for any other product.) compost I got wasn't that great. The batch we
got was littered with bits of plastic, wire, and general street trash that
got caught up in leaf pick up. On the whole that was a deal breaker for me
and I won't be going back. (If anyone would like to see the stuff 'in
action' please contact me off list. I'd be happy to give you our address
and you can come and see if the stuff will/will not work for you.)

I was able to get a great batch of well screened leaf compost from Grey
Goose Farm in upper Montgomery County (
http://greygoosefarm.com/public/index.cfm?fuseaction=articles.view&id=9171)
My wife and I have used them regularly for mulch and soils over the last
three years. On the plus side: Great products, nice people and their prices
for bulk materials are more than reasonable. Works especially well if you
have your own vehicle. On the negative side: It's a long drive from
Riverdale (an hour one way) and delivery is very costly compared to the
rates quoted by the Town of College Park.

You may also investigate:

The Behnke Nursury in Beltsville (http://behnkes.com/website/) I've gotten
wood mulch from them but they tend not to stock too much and only in season.

The Stone Store up near BWI (http://www.thestonestore.com/). Lots of
materials. Nice folks, but the same negatives I mentioned with respect to
Grey Goose apply here as well.

I have also heard that the Town of Takoma Park has bulk mulch available for
pick up (not sure if its leaf or wood mulch) but I've never been able to
find the location.

Best,

Jason Morris

--