[RP TownTalk] [RP Town Announce] Legislative Meeting Agenda

Lou King lking at knob.com
Sat Mar 31 14:50:41 UTC 2012

Melissa Avery wrote, On 3/31/2012 9:09 AM:

> Does anyone know who is beinggiven the job of designingthe new "youth
> wing" on the town hall?

Although your choice of words (and emphases) seems to me to be
inflammatory, no one is being "given the job."  During resent Council
Meetings and Work Sessions, the process of obligating Town funds and the
limits of what may be expended by Town staff, Council, with or without
the bid process have been discussed, heatedly and at length. Item #6 on
the Legislative agenda was discussed during the Working Session last
Monday, the 26th. If I remember correctly, the cost of architectural
services currently under consideration are only marginally over the no
bid limit.

By waiving the competitive bid requirement in this case several thousand
tax dollars are saved in addition to moving forward this much needed
expansion project.

> Where is it being located?

Those of us that have been paying attention over the past several years
know that the extension of town hall has been planed to be located
generally in front of Town Hall, between the current Council/general
purpose room and street. I say "generally located" because as inferred
in your first question a contract for architectural services has not
been let therefore no final design.

> How much is the town paying for it?

Again without an architect, there is no final design without which only
budget estimates of the final cost are available.

> Can the citizens see the proposed plan ?

Not to be redundant, but without the architect, only the most general
conceptual plans are available.

> Do the citizens have any say in this process?

Of course. Although I have not personally attended the meetings, it is
my understanding that those groups that regularly use the available
space in the Town Hall have been involved in the initial planning of the
new space.

Lou
O< ascii ribbon campaign - stop HTML mail - www.asciiribbon.org