[RP TownTalk] Calvert House

Jonathan W. Ebbeler jebbeler at efusionconsulting.com
Thu May 3 20:30:55 UTC 2012

All –

I apologize for the late chime-in but have had an exceptionally busy work
week.

As many of you know and realize residents and businesses are bound to obey
the Ordinances and Code of the Town of Riverdale Park.  As I am continually
reminded by constituents and personal experience there is a fine line
between maintaining the health, safety, and welfare of citizens and being
unnecessarily intrusive and bureaucratically invasive and burdensome.  The
Mayor has indicated that there is an ongoing investigation concerning
events.  Keep in mind, we still live in a democratic country that the
presumption of innocence is paramount; the same holds true today.  If the
Town did not investigate potential violations of code and/or ordinance we
would be in violation of our sworn duty.  This, however, does in no way
shape or form, indicate that we as elected officials and our staff are not
doing everything possible to ensure that loyal, long-term business-owners
have viable economic development opportunities afforded to them.

BUT, for a democracy to survive, process does matter.

The pertinent code that must be evaluated falls into Use and Occupancy
restrictions that could potentially require a special exception as well as
RP Code.  Please see

USE:

Other than a drive-in or fast-food restaurant (which may include incidental
carry out service, except where specifically prohibited):

(i)             Without entertainment (of any sort) other than music, and no
patron dancing – PERMITTED

(ii)                 All others – SPECIAL EXCEPTION

§ 25-1. Permit required; application.

It shall be unlawful for any person to operate any public dance hall without
first having obtained from the Mayor and Council a permit and paying the
license fee herein provided. Any person seeking a permit to operate a public
dance hall shall file with the Town Administrator a written application
designating the premises for which the privilege is sought, showing its
zoning classification and name and address of the owner thereof, and the
name and address of the applicant certifying that the applicant is a
resident of the State of Maryland and that he has not been convicted of any
offense against the laws of the United States or of the state involving
moral turpitude.

I will always work towards furthering economic development activities in
this town – it is my #1 legislative priority, but I also took an oath of
office that I am obligated to live up to and expect to be held accountable
to.  Otherwise I would actually be guilty of the things that myself and
colleagues, are often accused of on Town Talk and Patch posts. J

Best,

Jonathan