[RP TownTalk] Redistricting

Sarah Wayland sarah.wayland at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 18:29:13 UTC 2012

*Question 5*
*Referendum Petition
Congressional Districting Plan (Ch. 1 of the 2011 Special Session)*

Establishes the boundaries for the State’s eight United States
Congressional Districts based on recent census figures, as required by the
United States Constitution.

----

A vote "for" question 5 means that you support the congressional districts
as currently submitted. A vote against apparently means they need to try
again.

The current draft of the district boundaries changes the 6th Congressional
District so that it stretches nearly 200 miles, from the West Virginia line
to the Capital Beltway.

Here's a nice summary of different points of view (with links):
http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/Maryland_Redistricting_Referendum,_Question_5_(2012)#cite_note-ballotquestion-1

This article in the Washington Post lays out the positions on both sides of
Question 5.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/md-politics/for-maryland-democrats-redistricting-referendum-forces-a-look-in-the-mirror/2012/09/30/58dd369a-09bb-11e2-a10c-fa5a255a9258_story.html

My personal opinion? Gerrymandering should be discouraged.

-Sarah

--
Sarah Wayland
sarah.wayland at gmail.com