[RP TownTalk] Tuesday Nighs Meeting

Robert Hopkins marylandraven at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 15:55:00 UTC 2012

I would like to speak to my fellow neighbors about a concern that has been
happening in our community for several years. Rezoning or making a special
exception to a property that is zoned R55 residential housing.
This Tues evening the council will be voting on weather to pass ROSP3473-01
workers of Scared Hearts Nursery located on Queensbury Rd.
They are asking for a special exception to their zoning so that  they may
put a large addition on to there house and put a half circular driveway on
the lot directly next to the house. They will be cutting down mature trees
and taking out Crape Myrtle trees and covering this lot with driveway
material "undetermined at this time" and also adding handicap parking
essentially taking away that beautiful green lot that has been this way for
many years. Remember the song "they paved paradise and put up a parking lot"
I just want to ask my fellow neighbors that do we need more
churches,business,and commercial space taking over what was designed to be
residential property "our houses"
My understanding is they want to increase enrollment by 10 children which
means 20 + cars a day on this street (morning and evening) that already has
the fire house located a short distance away. This road is already used by
many commuters who do not live in the town but use this route to by pass
Kenilworth Ave and Route 410.(east west hwy.)
The concern is the children's safety of pick up and drop off . This has not
been a concern for the pass 30 years. Why is it now. My understanding is
parents need to back out of the driveway that has a pad for at least
8+cars.....  more then adequate to pull in and be able to turn around to
pull out on to queensbury
There is another day care located across the street which has no problems
with parents pulling in to the driveway and being able to back out.
It came to my attention that a petition with 200 signatures in favor of
this taking place has been brought around and of course I had no knowledge
that this was taking place. I was told just this  past Fri. evening about
this and was told "of course they did not bring it to your attention
because you are opposed".
Why cant I bring to the attention of my neighbors the opposing side of MORE
noise MORE pollution,MORE traffic, DECLINING quality of LIFE. but most
importantly I want to state it will DECREASE our property values!.Is no one
thinking of this. It has been proven in real estate surveys when you change
zoning in a residential neighborhood the properties directly abutting  them
decrease in value and when this comes to many properties in a town having
these zoning changes and exceptions the whole community suffers from
lowering property values.
I strongly support our businesses in our wonderful town and I strongly
believe that if the town of Riverdale Park stays on this course we will all
suffer. Think about having a church next to you, a mini mansion, a
commercial  property that when you purchased your home you thought that
these would remain houses. What would you do if they wanted to "Pave
Paradise and put up a parking lot next to you"...in front of you or on the
side of you.
I think when you consider these facts I think you might feel differently
then just the side they wanted you to hear.
Please call your council member by this Tues to say stop the zoning and
special exceptions on our homes located in our town . It is our town please
speak up on this issue.

--
I’ve a Chesapeake Heart
And a Caribbean Soul…

 There are two primary choices in life:
to accept conditions as they exist,
or accept the responsibility for changing them.
Denis Waitly