[RP TownTalk] SHA Resolution

Jonathan W. Ebbeler jebbeler at efusionconsulting.com
Wed Apr 24 14:20:48 UTC 2013

Hi Andrew -

I just received a lengthy document from the town's architect and Urban
Planner, Paul Mortensen that I need to go through and prepare the
legislation for tonight's session that outlines in detail the objections.
There was a meeting last week in which SHA stated a desire for a much wider
right-of-way on Route 1 north of East-West Highway, and wider lanes, that in
my opinion, and the opinion of most of the 20+ people that were in
attendance, will be completely contrary to what every municipality is trying
to do on Route 1 from Mount Rainier up to through College Park.  The
proposal violates the 1994 Master Plan for Area 68, the Mixed-Use Town
Center (M-U-TC) Development Plan of 2004, as well as the Route 1 Sector Plan
which all state or indicate planning goals of ensuring that US-1 is a
slower-speed, pedestrian friendly roadway.

Somehow SHA will allow traffic circles in Mount Rainer, on-street parking in
front of EYA in Hyattsville, yet they think it is appropriate to ignore what
Riverdale Park is trying to do along Route 1 - get people out of their cars
and into shops.  I realize that the criticism to this is 'what shops?'  But
this is the core and fundamental principle.  Decades ago the town allowed
itself to be bifurcated through the expansion of East-West Highway, Takoma
Park and others fought successfully against such expansion.  Our town center
was perfectly situated as a commercial hub prior to SHA's decision to bypass
it with a bridge diverting thousands of cars a day.  If we allow similar
decision making to occur anywhere along Route 1 any renaissance of the
town's commercial infrastructure will essentially be obviated and we will be
relegated into a high-speed pass-through.

Decision points like this will have urban planning impacts to Riverdale Park
for decades to come.  SHA has no investment in our town, or our town's
vision - they are just responsible for state-owned infrastructure.  The
consideration of economic development, commercial visioning, and impact to
communities are not at the forefront of their priority list when making
recommendations - they exist to build highways and move cars.

Best,

Jonathan

Jonathan W. Ebbeler | Councilman - Ward 1

4711 Oliver Street