[RP TownTalk] Mosquito control in Riverdale Park

Vernon Archer varcher at gmail.com
Sat Aug 3 20:49:25 UTC 2013

Friends and neighbors,

I wish to share the following information with you regarding the state
mosquito program (I had erroneously stated that it was a county program
earlier in the week, but it is fact administered by the Maryland Department
of Agriculture):

   - Spraying occurs in our area on Tuesday nights, between the hours of
   8:30 am and 2:00 am.
   - MDA sets traps to see if it’s necessary to spray the area.
   - If the count is 20 or more females, they will spray.  The Town’s count
   was 200 in the last test on July 30th.  Since Riverdale Park is a small
   community, they spray the entire community.  The Town is one of three
   communities that they spray at a time – Hyattsville, Edmonston,
included. They
   rotate between the three communities to determine which gets sprayed first
   and last.Therefore, they can’t pinpoint what time they will be in Town.
   - The optimum time to spray the area is at dusk, which now is around
   8:30 pm. They will spray until 1-2:00 am
   - MDA maintains the chemicals used are less potent than the flea/tick
   solutions used for pets.  The quantity is  2/3 of a fluid ounce solution
   per 1 acre.  If sprayers see pedestrians in the area, they turn off the
   sprayer and resume only after the area is clear (if you see something else
   occurring please contact me directly--as opposed to via the list serve).
   - Those sensitive to spraying should take appropriate actions during those
   times to avoid the spray.

While the town did give formal notice of the program in April's Crier I now
clearly recognize we can and should do more to inform the public of days
when spraying is likely to occur.  In the Crier we will make sure to post
in the Calender for each month, and I have asked town staff to send out a
message via Town Talk and Town Announce during Tuesday business hours that
spraying might take place that night.

Also note that we can do things as residents to minimize the need for
spray. As is printed on our town web site:

T*o prevent mosquito breeding, please note that mosquitoes can breed in any
water-holding container including bird baths, wading pools, pet watering
dishes, tin cans, old tires, clogged gutters or flower pots.  To prevent
mosquito breeding in these areas, water should be changed weekly in bird
baths, wading pools and pet dishes, gutters should be cleaned at least
twice a year, and other water-holding containers should be disposed of or
stored upside down.  It is the citizens' responsibility to make sure their
property is free of water-holding containers.  Report any areas of stagnant
water on or near your property by contacting the Maryland Department of
Agriculture, Mosquito Control Division at **301-422-5080* <301-422-5080>*.*
Also, you can give your neighbors a friendly reminder and/or contact town
Public Works if you spot areas in public lands that might have standing
water.