[RP TownTalk] Can you help us?

Aaron Marcavitch acornhp at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 6 15:01:25 UTC 2013

Hello neighbors!

Can you believe it is August already?  It has been a while since we have sent an email out and we wanted to see if you could help us in a few different ways.

First, we would really love to see you in the coming weeks at the 199th Anniversary of the Battle of Bladensburg weekend.  We start off at the Bowie Baysox on Friday, August 23 with War of 1812 Night.  Buy the tickets at: https://www.ticketreturn.com/prod2/Buy.asp?EventID=94812 but be sure to use the code "WAR1812" to send some of the ticket proceeds back to our work!  We promise it will be a great night.  On August 24, at 11am we will start the Battle of Bladensburg Encampment at Riversdale House Museum (4811 Riverdale Road, Riverdale Park, MD).  The big "tactical" (or battle) will begin at 3pm and we close up at 4pm.  Get there early!  Finally, on Sunday, August 25 there will be a "Historic Bladensburgh Open House" in Bladensburg.  See several houses that are not typically open to the public for free.  We start at noon and you can pick up more information at the Bladensburg Waterfront Park.  (As always, there is more info at
 http://www.princegeorges1812.org/ for other events - such as the new exhibit at Darnall's Chance and the 1812 programs at Fort Washington Park.)

Second, we have a great summer intern from the UMD Applied Anthropology department.  He is looking for some help:

"In a partnership between Maryland Milestones and Gavin Miculka, a graduate student at the University of Maryland, we are conducting research about visitors’ experiences in Maryland Milestones/Anacostia Trails Heritage Area (ATHA).  I'm very interested in hearing more about your visit(s) to the Heritage Area and your interests in tourism and heritage. Please provide us with a little information about yourself at http://www.marylandmilestones.org/survey-of-visitors I would also appreciate the opportunity to follow up and speak with you in depth about your experiences. Participation is purely voluntary. Follow-up conversations work best in-person or over the phone and should not last longer than 30 minutes. If an in-person or phone interview is not convenient, email correspondence can be arranged.  Your time is extraordinarily valuable. Your thoughts, comments, and suggestions could help shape the future of tourism programming and development in ATHA
 and other Maryland Heritage Areas.   If you questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact Gavin: gmiculka at umd.edu  Please note, all information provided here will be kept strictly confidential and be used only for the purposes of this study."

So, if you have visited sites around here (like the Battle of Bladensburg Encampment) we hope you can help Gavin with his project.

Third, we have had some questions coming to us about the Anacostia Tributary Trail System and the opening of the DC extension.  While we are not the leaders on this project, we did want to lift the screen just a bit and let you know that we are working on some new ideas for wayfinding, special "ambassador" rides, and new information for tourists.  More will come as we wrap up this War of 1812 program process.

Finally, if you aren't on our eblast list yet, we hope you sign up.  Or find us on Facebook and Twitter.  We love sharing the information and we love having you be part of the Heritage Area! Find us at http://www.marylandmilestones.org/

Aaron Marcavitch
Executive Director
Maryland Milestones/ATHA Inc.