[RP TownTalk] Upcoming 1812 program at Riversdale

Aaron Marcavitch acornhp at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 20 15:14:18 UTC 2013

Hello everyone,

As you may have seen, this weekend is the 199th anniversary of the Battle of Bladensburg.  Why is that important to Riverdale Park?  Well, mostly because on Saturday you are going to be hearing some cannons going off!

Saturday, August 24 from 11 am to 4pm there will be a large "encampment" of War of 1812 re-enactors.  This year we have participants from North Carolina, Virginia, DC, and Maryland.  As a special treat this year we will have a contingent from Fort McHenry as well.  Next year we are hoping for even more from Canada or England.  There will be "dragoons" - mounted soldiers - and cannons.  There will be kids activities and scout programs  And there will be "star spangled explosion" ice cream on sale from the Unviersity of Maryland Dairy (strawberry with red white and blue sprikles, plus a chocolate cannonball).  Its a great day to go with the family and we would love to see an many Riverdale Park residents come as possible.

We will have a bike check, so consider riding over.  We will also have information about next year's program and tote bags "for sale" (any donation accepted).

Do remember that the big "tactical" which is the battle portion will start around 3pm - so don't come too late!

We will also point out that Friday night is the War of 1812 Night at the Bowie Baysox (buy tickets online with the code WAR1812 and help us) and that on Sunday is an open house in Bladensburg of some of the historic homes.  You can find out all about it on our website, http://www.princegeorges1812.org/

Thanks!
Aaron Marcavitch
Executive Director, Maryland Milestones/ATHA Inc.