[RP TownTalk] Litter Pickup

Dwight Holmes dwightrholmes at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 21:51:24 UTC 2013

Dotsie, first of all many thanks to you, and Dell, and anyone else who
takes the time to pick up litter on our streets!  You raise some
interesting points in your post.  I'm wondering if you, or any other
TownTalkers who have a better memory than I do, can say whether the
post-trash pickup littering is worse now, with Bates, than it was when the
town ran its own trash collection?  I certainly do notice that there is,
sometimes, some litter left in our block after trash pickup, but whether
it's worse now than it used to be or not, I honestly cannot say.

There is a phenomenon that has been observed in the US where municipalities
and school districts are now, in some cases, "insourcing" their service
contracts - this is a reversal of "outsourcing", which is what Riverdale
Park did when we moved the job of trash collection to a private contractor.
 In the cases where "insourcing" has taken place the reasons most often
cited are a) expected cost savings didn't materialize and b) difficulty in
administering the contract and maintaining quality standards.  In these
cases, cities, towns and school districts found that doing it themselves
proved to be either less costly or of higher standards, or both.

I'd be curious to know if people think the current quality of our trash
service under Bates is any worse, better or more-or-less the same as it was
when our Public Works Dept provided the service directly?