[RP TownTalk] HMS and CPA - Please continue to show support

Bart Lawrence bartkathleen at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 13 20:46:43 UTC 2013

Hyattsville Middle School (HMS) is a valued destination for many students in the Prince George’s County Public School system due in part to its Creative and Performing Arts program (CPA). Although the CPA program is currently limited to 100 incoming students each year, every HMS student stands to benefit from the arts-based programming at the school. A 2010 evaluation of the CPA program found that it helped improve academic outcomes for all HMS students whether they were in the CPA program or not. Even for those with no direct association with the county’s public school system, our local public schools are a critical cornerstone to the well-being and attractiveness of our communities. It’s critical that the public continues to demonstrate its support of our schools and the CPA program. Please take a moment to write a letter to our many elected officials and to select PGCPS employees, letting them know how much you value HMS and the CPA Program.

Unique letters will have the greatest impact, so we have not provided a form letter, but the following are some points you might choose to consider:

Why do you value HMS, the CPA program, and/or our local schools?

How have HMS and/or the CPA program had a positive effect on your family?

What do the arts mean to your children and how have they enriched your child’s learning experience?

How does your community value the arts and how can the CPA strengthen this aspect of your community?
Please:

Ask the county to provide funding to expand the CPA program at HMS so that incoming 6th graders and a larger number of 7th and 8th grade students may directly participate in the program.

Ask the county to ensure that all HMS 6th grade students have access to arts electives (e.g., dance, creative writing, and music) rather than general arts classes.

For those unfamiliar with it, the CPA program provides students with a concentration in one of six fields: dance, music, drama, visual arts, media production, and creative writing. Students must audition into the program of their choice. Audition applications and references must be submitted by March 12 of each year.

Again, please write to the following groups as you think best. Thank you.
Bart Lawrence (and thanks to Carter Ross)
Hyattsville, MD

PGCPS Board of Education:
Verjeana M. Jacobs, Esq.
verjeana.jacobs at pgcps.org
BOE Chair, District 5

Zabrina Epps, M.P.M.
zabrina.epps at pgcps.org
District 1

Peggy Higgins, LCSW-C
peggy.higgins at pgcps.org
District 2

Amber Waller
amber.waller at pgcps.org
District 3

Key PGCPS Staff:
Dr. Alvin L. Crawley
Interim Superintendent of Schools
superintendent at pgcps.org

Helen Coley
Area II Office
hcoley at pgcps.org

Chris Mills
Instructional Director 9
Chris.mills at pgcps.org

A. Duane Arbogast, Ed.D.
Chief Academic Officer
Acting Deputy Superintendent
Duane.Arbogast at pgcps.org

Anita Lambert
Coordinating Supervisor, Creative Arts Programs
Anita.Lambert at pgcps.org

Lionel J. Harrell
Supervisor, Instrumental Music Program
lionel.harrell at pgcps.org

Judith Hawkins
Supervisor, Vocal and General Music Program
jhawkins at pgcps.org

Brenda T. Makle
Visual Arts Supervisor
bmakle at pgcps.org

Prince George’s County Council (asterisks marks those on the Council Health, Education and Human Services Committee)
Mary A. Lehman*
Prince George's County Council, District 1
CouncilDistrict1 at co.pg.md.us

Will Campos*
Prince George's County Council, District 2
WACampos at co.pg.md.us

Eric Olson
Prince George's County Council Vice Chair, District 3
EOlson at co.pg.md.us

Andrea Harrison
Prince George’s County Council Chair, District 5
councildistrict5 at co.pg.md.us

Obie Patterson*
Prince George's County Council, Vice Chair, District 8
Councildistrict8 at co.pg.md.us

Ingrid M. Turner, Esq.*
Prince George's County Council, District 4
MTurner at co.pg.md.us

Derrick Leon Davis*
Prince George's County Council, District 6
CouncilDistrict6 at co.pg.md.us

County Executive:
Rushern Baker
countyexecutive at co.pg.md.us