[RP TownTalk] State of Maryland Property Tax Assessment

Dwight Holmes dwightrholmes at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 00:09:44 UTC 2013

Hear, hear.  And, to the earlier point, though regrettable and somewhat
disturbing that our assessments have gone down, I, for one, would certainly
not want the town services and quality of life here - present day and
future - to decline along with them. That would only exacerbate the
situation and threaten us with a never-ending downward spiral.  I applaud
our council and government for maintaining a forward-looking budget and
program despite the tremendous hit our economy has taken, especially so
since they've been able to not increase our property tax rates while doing
so, thus far.

To another earlier point, if our assessments decline by, say, 25% and our
rates are held steady, our property taxes will decline by approximately 25%
too (that's a bit oversimplistic, but for the sake of an example...).  Once
that has happened, it would take a 33% rate increase to get us back to the *
same* amount of property taxes owed.  (100 to 75 is a 25% decline, but 75
to 100 is a 33% increase).  We can all be thankful that the town is
increasingly benefiting from the development taking place in our community,
and is not entirely reliant on homeowners and small businesses to foot all
the bills.  That being said, in order to maintain the fine quality of life
and services that we all enjoy here, if it were necessary to raise the tax
rates I would consider that neither a tax increase (our taxes have actually
gone down) nor bad policy.  If good stewardship of our town, and
maintaining its services and amenities, should require adjustments in our
tax rates, so be it. That would be the prudent and responsible thing to do.

Dwight (the other) Holmes
Riverdale Rd (Ward 1)

"A budget is a moral document." --Jim Wallis, *Sojourner Magazine*