[RP TownTalk] RP TownTalk Form

James D. Holmes jdholmes at comcast.net
Tue Jan 8 15:28:46 UTC 2013

Mr. Ebbeler

I thought the intended use of the RP TownTalk blog was to encourage the
residents of Riverdale Park to discuss current issues.  I have listed
the rules that I agreed to when I signed up to participate on the blog.
I believe that I am in conformance (see below rules for the RP TownTalk
Blog)

The comment you made that I should only address these issues at a Town
meeting and not on the RP TownTalk blog appears that you do not want
input from other residents that have the same opinion that I have.  Not
all Riverdale Park residence can run for office or attend town
meetings.  I work for a local government agency and I am prohibited from
holding an elected office in this State.  I also work when most of the
meetings are scheduled and can not attend.  I have been a
resident/property owner of Riverdale Park for approximately 35 years, I
have done my share of volunteering in the past.  My wife served as the
Chief Election Judge for numerous years. I have had ties in this
community for over 50 years and the message that I don't care about the
Town is absurd.

By the way, if I had taken off work last night to attend the Town
meeting, I would not have had the opportunity to talk directly to you.
You and two other council members were absent.

J. Holmes

    Promoting a Civilized Environment

We find a list works best when everyone treats everyone else with
respect. Below are some guidelines designed to make TownTalk a safe
environment for discussing difficult issues.

 1. Posters may not attack other list members for their choices or
    opinions, although they may suggest that certain opinions are worth
    evaluating or that there may be other points of view. We don't flame
    here - we respect the opinions of our fellow citizens. Because
    respect doesn't always mean saying "I agree", it's important to
    phrase challenges in such a way that it is clear that it is not the
    worth of the writer you are questioning, but rather the validity of
    the idea. What is a flame? It is important to recognize that to
    disagree respectfully, or to politely request a change of behavior,
    is not to "flame".

    Examples:

    /NOT/ acceptable: "I can't believe you think that! No right thinking
    person could possibly believe something so stupid."

    Acceptable: "I have a different perspective on this. My family
    actually enjoys eating hockey pucks."

    /NOT/ acceptable: "Listen you jerk - how can you be so stupid and
    listen to the idiots want a hockeypuckgarden?!? If you'd bothered to
    read up on hockeypuck gardens, you would never be arguing in favor
    of such stupid things."

    Acceptable: "What has led you to believe that people who live in
    Riverdale Park want a hockeypuckgarden? When I lived in Hockey Town,
    we had a hockeypuckgarden for one year, but no one maintained it and
    it looked horrible. I think a hockeypuckgarden is a bad idea."

    TownTalk will be a much more effective resource for all of us if we
    endeavor to keep it flame-free, and to avoid personal attacks.

 2. Think carefully when you respond to a post about whether you should
    "Reply to Sender", or "Reply to All" (which will send your e-mail to
    the entire list.)
 3. We recommend including your full name and e-mail address in the last
    two lines of each message sent to the list, to make it simpler for
    people to communicate privately with you via e-mail.
 4. Remember that people read this list using a very wide variety of
    hardware and software, and that some users are limited in their
    mailbox space or must pay according to the volume of mail they
    receive. As a courtesy, please configure your e-mail software to use
    "7-bit" encoding, and avoid sending attachments when possible.
    E-mail messages over 50 kilobytes currently require moderator approval.
 5. It is helpful to include /part/ of the message to which you are
    reacting in your response, but please don't quote the whole thing.
    If your reaction is a simple "I agree", please send that privately.
 6. Please don't post chain letters or warnings about e-mail viruses.
    For more information on these and other hoaxes, see
    http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/CIACHoaxes.html or http://www.snopes.com.