[RP TownTalk] RP TownTalk Form

Lou King lking at knob.com
Tue Jan 8 18:46:42 UTC 2013

I think you may have miss read, or read into Ebbeler's words something
that is not there.

I read his words to mean 'voice your opinion in a forum _in addition to_
this email list.'

Although I don't always make it to Council Meeting.  When I do, the
reporter from Patch frequently the only other person there observing the
process that guides our town today and into the future. I do notice that
the crowds are larger when people think things are not going well.

I also think that your 5 point challenge/manifesto is nothing but an
opportunity to construct a false duality that is not constructive.

* As already pointed out, one person's unnecessary pork is another
person vital program for a better society.

* Over the years I have been amused by those advocating for reduced tax
rates. The united front of the cutters seems to always splinter when it
gets down to who's ox gets gored if taxes are held at the current level
or reduced. There never seems to be agreement on whether to reducing the
police force, NOT maintaining infrastructure, deciding which town
services to reduce/eliminate like garbage collection, leaf collection,
street cleaning, parks, etc. OR reduce the staff necessary to monitor
the effective expenditure of the collected taxes. OR reduce the salaries
paid to attract a staff that is qualified to oversee and manage the
operation of the town.

* If 'no new taxes or fees' were taken to the logical conclusion, we
would still be taxing buggy whips and not collecting franchise fees for
cable TV/internet in town. The discussions I have observed/participated
in have been focused on alining the amount charged (tax/fee) with the
cost of the service received.

* By refinancing the current debt to a lower interest rate, the town
Council has in effect payed down the debt by several percent. It might
be noted that that "Pay down" did not require a tax increase. ~~ I know
that was a cheap shot but I couldn't resist.

More to the point Town indebtedness is a recognition of the reality of
current/anticipated needs.  Just as with personal finances two of the
choices are 1) saving until you can pay cash for a capital improvement
or 2) borrow the money, repaying the loan while using the asset. To be
clear we are talking about indebtedness for capital improvements, new
car, washing machine, house or in the case of the Town infrastructure,
streets, buildings. We are not talking about borrowing for operational
needs. For the Town that is as ill advised as it is on a personal bases.

"Pay down the current debt" by implication also means not incurring
additional debt. In the case of the town hall (which you brought up),
that would mean in 1990 (?) the Town would have needed the foresight to
start saving for a town hall/youth center to be built in 2015 and used
after that. Those saved fund would need to be defended though 12 Town
administration, hard financial time and good, (Cheap shot alert) and
cries for reduced taxes. ~ The same cries are heard to spend 'Rainy day
fund.' As someone said, productions are hard particularly about the
future. Expecting low paid, part-time, elected officials to always have
an accurate 20-25 year vision is expecting of others skills we don't
have ourselves. Now I have a fair idea where I will be in 25 years when
I'm 95. Conversely, about 25 year ago, in Texas getting out of the Air
Force, I was not thinking about the need of a facility for town children
or the requirements to accommodate the Cafritz project.

* By law the Town is required to "Govern within there means."
"Smaller Government is Better" is a point of view not a fact. It is (in
my opinion) a nice sounding slogan, but when a service you want or need
is lost, slow in responding or ineffective, "small" does not always mean
better.  There is also the feeling of Community, the needs of the group,
other residents, that may differ from our individual needs. As a
Community we must plan/work together for what is the generally agree on
golds that serve ALL in the community.

Lou
O< ascii ribbon campaign - stop HTML mail - www.asciiribbon.org